O2 Sensor Confusion

BMAN1113

I went on to Denso's site in an attempt to figure out which O2's were for my car. When I plugged in all the vehicle information they gave me the following part numbers.

-Both fronts #234-4211 or Universal #234-4000

-Left rear #234-4619 or Universal #234-4000

-Right rear #234-4619 or Universal #234-4000

I'm confused. How can they give me different part numbers then say that there is a universal? And why do they specify the rear as left and right when they have the same part number? Why didnt they just describe the rear like they did the fronts? Has anyone replaced all the O2 sensors and do they have a good source for these? Thx

• 2 weeks later...

The Universal applies to all the locations of the O2 Sensors. The reason they can produce a universal is that the effective range is broader and it can accomodate the ranges of all 4 sensors. Only an oem sensor would be set for a very close tollerance of each range.

:cheers:

Only the 2 sensors in front of the cat converter wear out. The rear 2 sensors last twice as long as the fronts. So you could just replace the front 2. I always get perfect fit,factory original replacement sensors so I don't have to screw around with cutting wires, rustproofing the cut wires and other headaches, plus I know the replacements sensors will last as long as the originals.

Thanks guys for all the info. I think I'll take Monarchs advice and replace the front two. I'm not really even sure that's that problem. Monarch, I noticed that you said you always replace with the OEM... This sounds as if you replace these rather frequently. The computer doesnt show any sensor problems but the car just doesnt seem to have the spunk it used to. Someone told me that the sensors can get "lazy" and not perform right without tripping the engine light. Is this anyones experience? I also have noticed a sort of "bucking" sensation when driving slow on a cold engine. I have also experienced this very rarely on a warm engine.

Hey Bandit, I noticed you put Eibachs on your '93 SC. How far did you lower it. I was thinking about lowering mine 1". Does the ride still feel nice?

Thx

The Eibach's will lower the ride 3/4 to 1". The ride is more determined by the Shocks. I used Tokico's and am not very satisfied with the ride. On the highway, it is smooth, but on rough roads, it is a little harsh.

I may try to use OEM shocks as the lowered ride height is determined by the springs.

:cheers:

Ah man... Dont tell me that. lol. Im putting a set of Tokicos on tommarrow. They should be good with non-dropped SC right? I hope so.

i just put tokicos on my sc. i dont know if the stock shocks were bad or just werent aggressive enough, but the tokicos make a noticeable increase in handling.

I just replaced all of the lower control arm bushings, installed a full set of Tokico blues and had a 4-wheel alignment. WOW!!.. Very nice. I didnt even realize how worn my suspension had become. It's cornering ability is unreal. It took a few days for the Tokicos to break in. They were a bit too stiff and the quick bounces gave me a sort of motion sickness at first. But now they are perfect. Very happy!!

This 11 year old car feels brand new.