Any Idea If '05 Es Steering Wheel Will Fit On 04?

don527

when i had an '04 rx330 loaner while my car was in for the 1000 mile service, i really liked that the audio controls are on the steering wheel. something that's on my odyssey and am spoiled now.

i noticed the '05 es330 will also have this and wondered how difficult a task would it be (how costly $$$ basically) to have an '05 steering wheel fitted into the '04.

thanks

don

It would be VERY costly to retrofit the '05ES steering wheel to the previous models. In fact NO Lexus dealer would even attempt this modification, unless cost is no object. I always loved the idea of audio controls on the steering wheel also, but that's the answer I got from my dealer. :(

The wheel would fit fine as the spindle and hub is the same ,the problem is wiring the radio to the wheel which wouldn;t work as you changed to an RX stereo also which wouldn;t look or work right

well that's why i was asking if an 05 es330 wheel would work on the '04 es330 because on the lexus site it looks like the radios are the same for both years... just the steering wheel controls look new.

on my z06 i don't have auto-headlight activation like the coupe/convertables but by making one switch setting on the pcm (if you have access to it) you can activate it. also, i don't have electronic tire pressure sensor like the coupe/convertable but if i were to buy the sensors and edit another switch in the pcm, viola, tire pressure shows on the control display.

i guess i was just hoping that since some hw may be used on different models with extra features, that something like the audio controls are wired in, just not activated like the above examples.

you'd be surprised to learn what features are hidden just because they limit content from one vehicle to another by just a software setting change.

thanks.

don

well that's why i was asking if an 05 es330 wheel would work on the '04 es330 because on the lexus site it looks like the radios are the same for both years... just the steering wheel controls look new.

The radio might look the same from the outside, but there are probably internal changes for additional plugins that the remote steering wheel control would need.

What about taking the whole enchilada {the radio/steering wheel/ wiring harness(es)/and anything else invovled} from the 05 and transplanting it into your 04.

That should work.

The big question is really..............what's in your wallet?

steviej

i personally don;t know what the 2 look like

get the part #'s from parts dept and see if it is the same

if so then just add the wheel and the colckspring to run the wiring back to the radio

it might be as simple as that ,as there is sienna's and lx;s plus some others that use the $50 mic to add voice commands compared to the dealer $1000 or something like that

It should work fine.

The nav head unit in the ES is a parts bin peice that is used on all sorts of Toyota models, the Camry Solara with radio controls, the Sienna van with radio controls, the Toyota 4 Runner with radio controls. The head unit MUST have inputs on the back for the radio controls. We know it does have inputs for satellite radio and voice activation, niether features the ES has. It wouldn't make financial sense to produce two identical head units yet leave out a connection. If you buy the wheel, the airbag, and the harness and have someone run it (a stereo shop would do it) it should work fine.

Now the question is the cost.

The Lexus wheels cost about $3000 from the dealer. Each wheel's wood is hand laid and they take about 3 weeks each to make. A leather only wheel would be cheaper I'm sure but they'll be rare. The wheel is too new to find on ebay or you could get one for 3-400. We also don't know if the wood finish will be the same. If you have a cream interior for instance the 05 has a yellow finished wood. I've heard people say the red finished wood we all have now has been discontinued. You would have to have the wood stripped and re-dyed. THEN you'd have to purchase a new airbag module because its a different shape. Again, its too new (the wheel is different from the RX) so you'd have to get it from the dealer, $1500 more.

Its just not going to be cost effective.

Now what you COULD do is get a leather only wheel from a Camry Solara (same wheel as the RX330 with radio controls) and get a Lexus branded airbag module (which you should be able to find somewhere used) and the wirinbg harness for the radio controls. THAT would be much more financially feasible.