Maintenance For 97 Lx450

HylTop

Would like to get some advice on servicing my 97 LX450. Just had my 75000 mile service @ Lexus dealership....cost $317.00. I also own a Sequoia and looking @ the Toyota service plan, there is not much difference. An LX is just a LandCruiser with woodgrain...right???, so is it OK to visit the Toyota dealership to save a few bucks....or is there something special that requires the Lexus service?

I convinced my Toyota dealership to work on the LX450. At first they told me they could not work on it, but after speaking to the service manager, he said they could order any parts unique to the Lexus. Toyota and Lexus use the same distribution channel. For the LX450 and LC they are mechanically identical for the same model years. Only the cosmetic stuff is different.

There is nothing special about a LX 450 that precludes you from taking it to a Toyota dealership for serivcing, if that's what you want to do.

In some cases, as alanc states, it takes some convincing to get them to work on it, but this is due more to some people's lack of knowledge (that there isn't any mechanical difference between the the LX and LC).

The other isse could be level of service. The lexus dealer rolls out the red carpet and a truck is always waiting for me to just drive away with... no hassels. I picked up a Chrysler Crossfire (black) and had to have the window adjusted. Chrysler now gives rental cars for the Crossfire and pacifica but they are throug enterprise rental car. So you have to be take to the rental place and fill out all the information as if you are renting it from an airport... what a hassel not to mention I was stuck with a big bouncy silverado pickup... Service can be cheaper somewhere else but the level of treatment and respect i get form my lexus dealer is 2nd to none.

i now own two lexus... 00 lx470 and 96es300... i have had es for 5 years now, and have over 90k miles, my lexus dealership still treats me like i just bought a new one... hence why i opted for new lx470 over landcruiser or other toyota product. the extra $ paid means less hassle which puts me on the road running my business not standing at enterprise rental waiting for a car to show up!