Timing Belt Replacement Interval

analogbob

Lexus says to replace the timing belt at 90,000 miles only in "severe operating conditions" Unless we use these at taxi cabs, few owners meet this criteria - yet the dealers seem to stick to the 90K standard - probably for revenue. But the question Lexus does not answer - "if you don't do it at 90,000 miles -when do you have to replace the timing belt?" Never?? 120,000? When? If anyone has had any guidance on this I would be interested!

While I certainly don't fall under the "sever operating conditions" for my RX either, I will be replacing them at 90K....not because that is when I have to change them, but just for peace of mind. The way I look at it, anything over 90K is a risk. I am at 80K right now and mine have started to chirp a little. It goes away after a few minutes & the belts are still very tight. I might replace mine a little early. Don't know what Lexus charges to have it done, but I had a quote from an independent certified lexus/toyota service shop for both belts for $75.00 + tax. Not too bad.