Check Engine Light?

i just bought a 95 es300 on friday and yesterday when i was coming home from work the check engine light came on :huh: it was raining pretty hard so i was wondering if these cars have a problem with things getting wet and setting it off? it has almost 89,000 miles on it , so it may have came on for like a check up or something. not real familar with this car yet so i was wondering if anyone knows maybe why it came on it runs fine still. or any common problems, or things i should check

thanks

It may also be your reminder to have the 90,000 mile tune up. Often times this will include changing the timing belt, fluids, trans and drive line check. If the car is driving fine and no leaks ro performance issues, then have it looked at as soon as you can to avoid any major problems. You are fine to wait a little bit if it is the reminder to tune up, but you will not know until you go and plug in to see at the dealer or shop. ckeck to see if any fluids are leaking and get you an appointment! :P

the check engine light comes on when one of MANY sensors involved in the emisison/fuel/air/delivery systems of the car either recieves or transmitts a signal not in accordance with what the ECU is expecting.

could be as simple as a loose gas cap or could be as expensive as a bad EGR valve.

When the CEL comes on, have the code(s) read as well as all codes in memory should be reviewed.

Autozone still does that for free around here.

Lexus/Toyota may charge you a diagnostic fee. If they do, and you need work done, make sure they discount you the diagnostic fee if you agree to have the work done by them.

keep us posted.

steviej

Hi had a similar problem when i got my lexus with 43k miles. i think the most common problem is the gas cap for this light. try to take off the gas cap and leave it off for about 30 seconds, then put it on and tighten it till you hear about 3-4 clicks. after about 3 hours, the light should go off if this was the problem.

In my case, i took it to a dealer (autozone does not check codes for free in southern california, i tried :() and they said it would cost 100 bucks just to check what the problem is. then it turns out i needed a new charcoal canister. i don't know exactyl what that part does, but it costs 300 bucks. luckily it was still under warranty. anyway, i think you should try the gas cap first, then take it to a dealer. just like steviej said. :) hope it's not a big problem!

hey fellow lexus enthusiasts,

New to this forum and I wonder why I didn't find this forum earlier.

I drive a 98 ES300 and my wife drives a 99 ....

The check engine light on my 98 ES300 came on suddenly and I was alarmed ...

I immediately took it to the dealer.... (I have always had everything done by dealer)

They said something about a vaccuum valve being the problema nd quoted $850.00 ....

Now I thought that was a little too much and decided to let the light be on (dealer told me the car would work fine)

Well, the car works fine, it still delivers excellent gas mileage (27 mpg), but now I'm worried .... the light is annoying and disturbing.....

Any suggestions on what might be wrong and how to get it fixed in the most inexpensive manner ?

Thanks all u guys ....

maavrik

if you ride around with the check engine light on, how are you informed of any new "important" or car threatening problems that trigger the check engine light?

The check engine light means something is not right. Get the codes read.

steviej

Had my Check engine light code read and the problem with my '93 ES 300 was the FRONT o2 SENSOR ( $82.15 )

I also had a new air filter put on ( $18.60 )

I bought this car off eBay and had the mechanic check it over the only thing that I need to get is a Anti Rotation Mount, which I have on order ( $57.60 )

Hope this helps some for info...

This car does not tell you with the check engine light flashing codes as to what and where the problem is. You need to get it any good garage and have them plug in a special code reader. It tells them exactly what problem the system is seeing and where it is and it also can clear those codes when they're done so the check engine light goes off. My '95 ES had a bad coil. I went ahead and bought a tester ($120.00) and found the problem, replaced the coil and drove off. Get it looked at. It's worth it. Also since you just bought the car see if you can find out when the timing belt, idler bearings, water pump and other belts have been serviced. This is the most important service detail you can watch aside from regular oil changes! You must be very consious of that timing belt, it runs four cams and water pump at precision high speed and you can not let it go so long that it breaks! If it does you're lookin at major engine work. Also go to your local Valvoline Oil Change and have them flush and fill all fluids. Then you'll know what you've got and you'll be set for lots and lots of good miles (smiles).

thanks for the advice about checking the part# and part name ......

I do not have the part # but have the part names

They are 1. Charcoal Canister and 2. VSV Switch set ..... Est. cost $850 ........

Do you guys think I can get it at Toyota for cheaper ????

Will be scouting the Toyota dealerships on Saturday thru Monday .....

Please give me your take on this .......

Any help greatly appreciated .....

Thanks,

Maavrik

i reset the check engine light by un plugging the battery for a while and the light stayed off for 2 days and now it is on again- a lot of places cant run the codes b/c it is a 95 and most places can do 96 and up - lexus said to run codes it would start at $88 ( im not sure why it would go up all they do is plug in the machine, another way to get money i guess) so i am trying to find some place cheaper.

any ideas of what it may be if i reset it and stayed off for a while and then came back on??

go to toyota,you do have a camry after all

and i think alot of places can do your car they just don't know that your 1mz-fe engine is already obd 2 compliant

meaning it has to follow stricter emmisions and has the same plugs as other models

resetting the code won't fix your problem. Here are a few common problem on your ES300

gas cap, charcoal cansiter, O2 sensor and Mass air flow sensor(cause it to run lean). Take it to auto zone let them retrieve the codes and tell me what they are. I;m a lexus certify tech. Good luck.

JPI

I had a similar problem with my 98 ES300. The engine light turned on. Lexus also said it was the charcoal canister and "VCV Rail", also about $800. When I posted this problem at Edmund's site I got a reply saying to remove the EFI fuse for about a minute (engine off) and then replacing it. It worked perfectly, but weeks later reoccurred. When the light turned on a third time I immediately turned off the engine, opened the gas cap (to relieve the pressue), closed it, and started the engine. Problem solved (for now)! I've also since then replaced the gas cap and have had no more problems, but it's now been cool now for 6 months. Problem may arise now that we are beginning to get into the summer. One wonders why to replace both canister and vcv rail (whatever that is)? Will keep you updated

• 5 weeks later...

Hey fellow lexi enthusiasts ....

I had the same problem with the check engine light .....

The dealer said it was $800.00 expense due to charcoal cannister and VSV switch ....

I was really afraid of driving it with the light so for 1 week the car sat at home while I drove a 97 Honda Accord :blushing:

and when today I put my key in my lexus to go to work, that light is no longer there ...... I guess the light came on due my overszealous fueling habits .... I keep fuelling even after the cutoff .... thats what the dealer said anyways when I called him ... anyways no problem at all now .... such a relief .....

Just wanted to share my experience ....

Give me your take on this .....

This happened Friday and have driven atleast 300 miles thereafter , the light hasn't come on ....

Thx ....

Maavrik