Rx330 Or Rx400h?

denslexusgx470

If you were to buy an Rx soon, which one would you pick?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. If you were to buy an Rx soon, which one would you pick?

• Rx330
    • Rx400h

be careful whenever buying any new model of car the very first year it comes out.  There usually are a lot of defects that are not fixed until the following year.

can't really apply that to the 400h becuz the design and engine has both been tested before, unlike me when i first bought the gx (maybe the first 1000 built), i'm the ones with bugs and defects!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

be careful whenever buying any new model of car the very first year it comes out.   There usually are a lot of defects that are not fixed until the following year.

can't really apply that to the 400h becuz the design and engine has both been tested before, unlike me when i first bought the gx (maybe the first 1000 built), i'm the ones with bugs and defects!

...not to mention horrible gas milage...... :cries: :cheers:

Following URL has a 400H test drive report from Hawaii:

http://www.autoweb.com/content/shared/arti...icle_id_int/129

"Article not available at this time"

I hope it reappears. The following showed up today also. This time I copied it.

From URL: http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories....02397402&EDATE=

TORRANCE, Calif., Nov. 8 /PRNewswire/ -- Lexus announced to its dealers on

Friday that the RX 400h luxury hybrid SUV will go on sale April 15, 2005.

Lexus has more than 9,500 confirmed pre-sold orders for the 2006 RX 400h with

more than 46,000 consumers registering online for more information about the

world's first luxury hybrid vehicle through the company's website, Lexus.com.

The RX 400h is the first vehicle to provide a powerful new performance

dimension to the traditional hybrid advantages of high mileage and low

emissions.

"We've received significantly more pre-launch consumer interest for the

400h than any vehicle in our entire 15-year history," said Lexus Group Vice

President and General Manager, Denny Clements. "Although the on sale date is

confirmed, we are attempting to move the start of production up even earlier

in 2005 to build up sufficient inventories to help meet the demand we expect

in mid-April," he added.

In addition, Lexus Financial Services announced it will extend lease

agreements to current Lexus owners who have placed orders for a RX 400h by as

much as 12 months, if necessary, to accommodate those customers who have

voiced concern that their Lexus lease might run-out before their RX 400h

arrives.

SOURCE Lexus

Web Site: http://www.Lexus.com

I'm a little concerned about this:

True, the mass majority that will buy this hybrid SUV won’t ever take on any thing worse that a graded dirt road, or on snow. However, sand is to be avoided. With the aft electric motor being air cooled, there’s a concern for excessive heat build up, which would cause the system to shut down (to protect itself), temporarily leaving its passengers stranded. If you want to go off road, the Lexus RX 400h is not for you.

I wonder if sandy roads during the winter is something that is a concern. The roads around here get REALLY sandy.

True, the mass majority that will buy this hybrid SUV won’t ever take on any thing worse that a graded dirt road, or on snow. However, sand is to be avoided. With the aft electric motor being air cooled, there’s a concern for excessive heat build up, which would cause the system to shut down (to protect itself), temporarily leaving its passengers stranded. If you want to go off road, the Lexus RX 400h is not for you.

I wonder if sandy roads during the winter is something that is a concern. The roads around here get REALLY sandy.

Wow! They AVERAGED 34.4 MPG after driving through city, highway, AND mountain roads. That's impressive! I think it would be safe to say that the 400h will not be adversely affected by road sand. I think they are referring to beach sand and desert-area sand when they say you should subjectthe 400 on off-road conditions.

The really impressive part is the torque specification: 650 lbs-ft of torque!!!!!!!

All I can say to that is YEEEEHAAAAAWWWWWW!

Wow! They AVERAGED 34.4 MPG after driving through city, highway, AND mountain roads. That's impressive! I think it would be safe to say that the 400h will not be adversely affected by road sand. I think they are referring to beach sand and desert-area sand when they say you should subjectthe 400 on off-road conditions.

The really impressive part is the torque specification: 650 lbs-ft of torque!!!!!!!

All I can say to that is YEEEEHAAAAAWWWWWW!

650 torque???? :o wow! :blink:

yeah the Rx400h officially launches at all dealers on April 15, 2005 as a 2006 model.

• 2 months later...

deffinetly wait a few years before getting the new hybrid rx. even the 04 rx330's have transmission and other problems occuring and its engine is the same as ones in the past. imagine a new hybrid one..same bad transmission as the rx's and now a new engine thats been around for..what, the first year in a lexus! the only way anyone could think it mght be good is becuase toyota's used this in the prius before. But this same hybrid engine in an suv? mistakes waiting to happen. also, the gas mileage isnt all that it seems to be. in the end it would be better to just get a normal rx330.

Why? The RX400h has a totally different transmission than the 330, it has a CVT, a constantly variable transmission that has no gears. The engine is the same engine the RX has now, its just mated to two electrical motors, electrical motors are very reliable. Plus the hybrid system is under warranty for something like 150k miles.

As for gas mileage, 30MPG city on an SUV that does 0-60 in 6.5 seconds isn't impressive? thats over 10MPG and 2 seconds faster to 60 than the RX330.

I don't see why anyone would want an RX330 with figures like that.

Why? The RX400h has a totally different transmission than the 330, it has a CVT, a constantly variable transmission that has no gears. The engine is the same engine the RX has now, its just mated to two electrical motors, electrical motors are very reliable. Plus the hybrid system is under warranty for something like 150k miles.

As for gas mileage, 30MPG city on an SUV that does 0-60 in 6.5 seconds isn't impressive? thats over 10MPG and 2 seconds faster to 60 than the RX330.

I totally agree! This is why some people are willing to spend thousands of dollars just to get on the waiting list for the 400h - it's THAT good!

I totally agree! This is why some people are willing to spend thousands of dollars just to get on the waiting list for the 400h - it's THAT good!

only problem is, you wouldn't know when you would get one right away! <_<

only problem is, you wouldn't know when you would get one right away!  <_<

I submitted my deposit last April 04 and I expect to get my RX400h by June 05 at the latest, so no one can say that I'm not a patient man! I just hope I can get one of those bamboo pearl colors...... :rolleyes:

I submitted my deposit last April 04 and I expect to get my RX400h by June 05 at the latest, so no one can say that I'm not a patient man! I just hope I can get one of those bamboo pearl colors...... :rolleyes:

I put a deposit down last April, too. My dealer said that they have no clue how many they are going to get, or when I would receive mine. They assume that some people on the list would not take theirs since it is such a long wait.

What number are you on the waiting list? I'm #30. I understand there are over 120 on this dealer's list. I don't think they are accepting any more. Ironically, some dealers are advertising that they are taking orders.

I put a deposit down last April, too. My dealer said that they have no clue how many they are going to get, or when I would receive mine. They assume that some people on the list would not take theirs since it is such a long wait.

What number are you on the waiting list? I'm #30. I understand there are over 120 on this dealer's list. I don't think they are accepting any more. Ironically, some dealers are advertising that they are taking orders.

I am number 15 on the list and this dealership stopped taking reservations at number 79. It appears that Lexus does not want year-long waiting lists, so they will make every attempt to stockpile as many RX400hs as possible before the April 15 release date. How many each dealership receives may depend upon its history of RX sales. I estimate that my dealership will receive 5-10 per month, meaning that I am looking at an end of May - late June delivery if every RX goes to a person on the list. If, let's say, the customer before me does not want a particular option package, then I may get mine slightly ahead of time.

I do have a suspision that if someone drops off the list, instead of bumping everyone else up, the dealership may sell that spot - not sure about this, though.

I am number 15 on the list and this dealership stopped taking reservations at number 79. It appears that Lexus does not want year-long waiting lists, so they will make every attempt to stockpile as many RX400hs as possible before the April 15 release date. How many each dealership receives may depend upon its history of RX sales. I estimate that my dealership will receive 5-10 per month, meaning that I am looking at an end of May - late June delivery if every RX goes to a person on the list. If, let's say, the customer before me does not want a particular option package, then I may get mine slightly ahead of time.

I do have a suspision that if someone drops off the list, instead of bumping everyone else up, the dealership may sell that spot - not sure about this, though.

I was told by the dealership that people would be bumped up. Color and options will bump some people down and others up.

On another note, I spoke with someone who drove one recently. He was extremely impressed. It had a great deal of power, too.

I was told by the dealership that people would be bumped up. Color and options will bump some people down and others up.

On another note, I spoke with someone who drove one recently. He was extremely impressed. It had a great deal of power, too.

I hope this is the case with my dealership as well. Gas prices are expected to climb once again as we head towards Summer and I look forward to NOT having to stop for gas every week! As far as options, I and my wife can be flexible, although I really need to hear that Mark Levinson setup. A guy at work told me that it is the best sounding stereo system he's ever heard - and he's driven many different types of cars, including many BMWs (He has a 530) and Mercedes.