Egr

BillyC

My check engine light went off on the way home from getting the local Toyota dealer to read the code. Yippee! He said the EGR pipe was plugged, but I decided not to have the work done due to time constraints. My car is running great and getting the best gas mileage ever, 26 mpg. I don't plan to do anything about the EGR until the check engine light comes on again. Is the EGR just for emissions control or does it have some other function??

Thanks,

BillyC

91LS400

216,000 miles

comment: all you have to do is to type 'EGR' into Google; you will probably get at least 20 different professional and educational sites that will explain the whole process in detail. Google answers many questions.

note: this is meant to be constructive. :P

The engine control module (computer) will compensate to a point for the loss of EGR.

The short answer is that adding exhaust gases, which are essentially inert, to the incoming charge lowers the peak combustion temperatures, and is a very effective way to prevent the formation of oxides of nitrogen. The cats will take care of CO and HC, and to some extent the small amount of NOx that remains.

The early four sensor LS 400's were among the cleanest and best running cars on the planet when they were new. It is probably a good idea to keep them that way.

I have always heard that a abd E G R valve will decrease your gas milage???

It cost me $130 to have one replaced in my Chevrolet. States that have emission testing will not pass a car with a bad E G R system. Luckily Virginia isn't one of them, probably Bama isn't either. It won't hurt to drive it. My brother drove his truck 100,00 miles with a bad one.

I had my my EGR pipe removed but found no way to have new ordered EGR pipe back to my car. In orde to drive the car, I had two holes capped. the car runs great but the check-engine light is on... so i have to find a way to have it installed any way. by car shop or any migic way...