Drove A 94 Today...

Satchel

I have been craving an ES300 and finally stopped to drive a 1994 today. The owner says it is the Platinum edition, but I'm not sure entirely what that included.

It is white on white with tan leather and Coach edition wheels. It has 101,000 miles and feels really tight.

The window sticker is folded in the owner's manual book along with maintenance records from a local dealer.

The tach needle was dark and the speedo needle was blinking, but everything else seemed fine.

Oh, the trunk release button didn't work, but maybe I was missing something.

Body was beautiful with two "dings" like a hailstone would make...one in the hood and one in a door...no paint damage.

Used dealer wants $6500. I haven't tried to talk her down yet.

Anything I need to know? Anyone have a list of what the Platinum edition included?

Dealer said the timing belt/water pump were changed out at 91k...

I'm thinking this might be the one...

Satchel in Dallas

I've never heard of a Platinum Edition on a '94 ES. Plat. Ed. comes in the 2000 ES300 year models only (plus the same for the GS sedan). Given the description of the car you just looked at and drove, it may have been the more rare "Anniversary Edition" since that comes with Coach Edition wheels and AE floormats (as well as other things I can't remember).

I bought a '94 ES in July 1994, and I was never told or saw a Platinum or Anniverary Edition sold by my dealer. If that model was sold in the NYC area there probably were very few of them.

Oh, the trunk release button didn't work, but maybe I was missing something.

There is a bypass switch inside the glove compartment. If that is turned off then the trunk release button won't activate the trunk release.

I bought a 94 ES in 97 and I still have it today, I'm up to 141k miles and it runs just as well as the day I bought it. My power steering went around 120k after I was in an accident. A couple other things went and I had to put a total of 2400 into it a couple years ago but again I think that was probably due to the shock of the accident I was in...all in all, it's a great car.

I cant really comment on the plat vs. anniversary ed. but from what Ive seen thats a pretty good price. I just purchased a 96 for about the same price from a dealer in the Dallas area, but it wasnt gold edition etc. It had a few more miles on it than this 94. You might be able to talk her down some, but its a reasonable price for the car.

The dings aren't a big deal, they can be removed by a PDR tech for $200 probably. The needles aren't that big a deal really anymore either as there are a lot of aftermarket outlets to have them repaired.

Run a carfax on it and have a mechanic you trust look it over really well, if that all checks out and you have maintenance records I say go for it.

65 is a good price if you can't get them down-I'd still buy it. I bought my 93 in May '03 with 126k on it for 5700 and it has no factory options whatsoever. Flawless all around though, except some engine problems I've had. Cosmetically though? You'd swear it was brand new B) I'd highly reccomend the 94, especially the Anniversary Edition, as the 94 has the same first generation bodystyle as the 92-93 but the later 1MZ engine-a much more hassle-free powerplant then the 3VZ-FE tends to be. Go for it! ;)

I have a 94 ES300 and I love it! I believe someone in this forum said that if you are goiong to buy one, stay away from the 92 and 93 and stick with the 94's and up! Make sure that the headlights are not foggy or else you'll have to bake them. Ask SK what I mean :lol:

Check to make sure that the 90K tune up was done otherwise you'll get stucj with it. Check the timing belt, coolant should be either a nice green / red, transmission fluid should only be red, check to make sure that the AC system is working well. Check the rotors, brakes, and other things too! Good luck and welcome to the forum!

-Brian

All I have to say is that my '94ES was one of the best cars I've ever owned. I serviced the car myself for 9 years and it didn't give me one bit of trouble!

Good luck if you buy it. :)

I have a '95 es w/80k. Only complaint I have is motor mounts seem shot.

Does anyone know how many labor hrs to replace all mounts. how many are there including trans mount. I will get parts from Lexus and bring to local mechanic

Also chews front tires about every 12k mi. Anyone else chew tires fast on their es?

Also chews front tires about every 12k mi. Anyone else chew tires fast on their es?

1- Get a 4 wheel alignment.

2- Keep the tires inflated properly.(30psi is a decent pressure)

3- Rotate your tires every 5000 miles.

4- Don't take turns at excessive speeds.