Navigation System

Ok here we go !

I got a LX470 2001. What I want to know is it possible to purchase (not from a dealer) and install a factory navigation system just like the one in 2004 models. I have been looking around and all I can fined is a aftermarket systems with I guess is ok but I am afraid that it will look goofy in the dash just because it was not made for this car.

So I was to know is:

1. Is it possible to install that system in 2001 model.

2. Where can I find it and at a descent price.

I would really appreciate all the advice.

Thanks in advance .

Arthur

:huh:

it would be cheaper to sell the car and buy one with the navi preinstalled.

Installing a non-stock stock navi system would be a major undertaking involving mutlitple car systems.

However, anything is possible, depending on how much money you are willing to part with.

steviej

yes its possible. the nav system wiring harnesses only require 4 connctions to your wiring harness and you caN SWITCH OVER TO NAV SYSTEM. THE NAV HAS A CONSOLE DVD PLAYER AND CAN PLAY DVDS MOVIES. THE ENTIRE SET UP COULD BE BOUGHT USED FOR AROUND 2000.00 WHICH IS EVEN LESS THAN THE OPTION WHEN NEW. THE DEALER PARTS DEPT LIST PRICE FOR THE PARTS IS OVER 10.000 BUT THE DEALER DOESNT REALLY HAVE NEW ONES TO SELL SO USED IS WAY TO GO.

• 2 months later...
Aftermarket navigation systems are a toughy.  We have a system that has DVD,MP3,CD,sirius radio,and navigation all on a "hideaway" touch screen..... interested??  hkantor@germainlexus.com    B)

I installed a Kenwood 7015+Nav and it doesn't work really well with my amp, acutally it doesnt work at all. Any suggestions?

Arthur,

There are alternatives to spending thousands of $ to install a factory Nav in a three or four year old car. What part of Wisconsin are you in? Having difficulty finding your way from cow to cow? :blink: (Sorry, I couldn't resist - it was all in fun.) You could instead spend $400 - $700 and buy a Palm or Pocket PC based Nav that you could take from car to car (including to rental cars when you really, really need Nav while travelling) while also using it for e-mail, video, MP3, names and addresses, and surfing the Internet via those free hotspots that are becoming so common in the midwest.

Some of the limo service cars we use to get to the airport have PDA based Nav systems and the drivers tell me that they are very effective. They have maps and voice prompts similar to factory Nav and some can connect to mute the car radio during the voice prompts.

There are lots of available PDA based systems from Garmin, PalmOne, etc. including this one from Dell ($556 including GPS) which interfaces with the GPS antenna via Bluetooth: http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/f...s=19&l=en&s=dhs

All the nav information for almost half the U.S. will fit on just one removable 1-gigabyte SD card which slips into the slot at the top of the Dell.

I have the Dell Wi-Fi/Bluetooth X30 624 MHz Pocket PC part of this system but have been too lazy (or cheap) to order the Bluetooth GPS kit which is currently $224 as a standalone option.

'90, makes some very good suggestions. I wanted a nav for my '95 LS, but like you, I don't like the aftermarket in-dash setups, so I bought the Garmin iQue3600. It was about $600 when I got it, but I think they've come down in price since then. I'm still trying to figure out why they are so cheap because they have tons of poi's, nice color screen, voice guideance, turn previews, all Palm OS functions, trip computer, and it recalculates your route if you skip a turn. And, it's very accurate. It's got very little memory from the factory-32 megs, so a larger card is a must. Here's a pic...

:cheers:

post-1461-1098418812_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

We have a 2004 LS430. All the aforementioned Problems of not being able to utilize the functionality while the vehicle is moving over 5 MPH is so FRIGGING Annoying. For my other vehicle, I purchased the NEWEST Garmin 2620..... Xcellent Performance and does so much more than the Lexus Nav System and you can Program It on the Fly.

I'm compiling a list of complaints about the Lexus Motion Sensor disabling the ability of the driver OR passenger to access it save a Police or Hospital Emergency. To me when I'm hungry and have the desire for an In N Out Burger Animal Style, while traveling down a Major Highway IS an emergency. I intend to bring some of the selected complaints I was able to locate on this forum on line to my Lexus Dealership Thursday when I have the LS430 serviced. Maybe a copy to Lexus Corp.

CHP does not want you to pull to the side of the Freeway for the purposes of USING your Lexus Navigational System.

Even the ability to dial using the on screen # Pads is disabled, forcing me to use my LG Blue Tooth Phone which is a greater RISK FACTOR. In the words of Dr Phil.... Lexus WHAT WERE YOU THINKING????? (Take a page from Mercedes, Acura and Others that allow the passenger/driver to utilize the functionality of the navigational system without pulling over and stopping on our highways.

Liability?: Good Ideas: Passenger Sensor In the Seat, then I could use my 80 lb Pit Bull (She doesn't Shed)'s weight to allow programing on the fly. Another Idea would to allow voice commands "Nearest In N Out please". I've seen so much 'distractions' in drivers operating their vehicles, having a FULLY functional navigational system is a lot less dangerous than a female driving down the Lane ! Freeway putting on her makeup.

Speaking of In N Out, there's a new one in Burlingame.... think I'll take the Subaru/Garman 2620 just in case.

We have a 2004 LS430.  All the aforementioned Problems of not being able to utilize the functionality while the vehicle is moving over 5 MPH is so FRIGGING Annoying.   For my other vehicle, I purchased the NEWEST Garmin 2620..... Xcellent Performance and does so much more than the Lexus Nav System and you can Program It on the Fly. 

I'm compiling a list of complaints about the Lexus Motion Sensor disabling the ability of the driver OR passenger to access it save a Police or Hospital Emergency.  To me when I'm hungry and have the desire for an In N Out Burger Animal Style,   while traveling down a Major Highway IS an emergency.   I intend to bring some of the selected complaints I was able to locate on this forum on line to my Lexus Dealership Thursday when I have the LS430 serviced.   Maybe a copy to Lexus Corp.

CHP does not want you to pull to the side of the Freeway for the purposes of USING your Lexus Navigational System.      

Even the ability to dial using the on screen # Pads is disabled, forcing me to use my LG Blue Tooth Phone which is a greater RISK FACTOR.   In the words of  Dr Phil.... Lexus WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?????  (Take a page from Mercedes, Acura and Others that allow the passenger/driver to utilize the functionality of the navigational system without pulling over and stopping on our highways.

Liability?: Good Ideas: Passenger Sensor In the Seat, then I could use my 80 lb Pit Bull (She doesn't Shed)'s weight to allow programing on the fly.    Another Idea would to allow voice commands "Nearest In N Out please".     I've seen so much 'distractions' in drivers operating their vehicles, having a FULLY functional navigational system is a lot less dangerous than a female driving down the Lane ! Freeway putting on her makeup.

Speaking of In N Out, there's a new one in Burlingame.... think I'll take the Subaru/Garman 2620 just in case.

:chairshot:

• 2 months later...