Front End Click/knock

eric618

Hi all,

I have a 99 RX300 with just under 90k on her. recently, I've been getting a muffled knock/thud/click sound from the front end. I *think* it's more localized around the passenger side, but hard to tell. This could be while turning in either direction, accelerating, or decelerating. It's an equal opportunity knock! I have also gotten it while parked and turning the wheel. It's incredibly annoying and I'm at a loss. I've been under it and everything is tight as far as I can see. No abnormal tire wear either. Anyone have any ideas? I'm at a complete loss. :chairshot:

Thanks for your time!

Eric

That noise is very annoying and alarming. It is definitely the strut mounts. Nothing to worry about unless the struts are bad. To fix the problem you have to remove the struts and replace the rubber bushings at the top of the front struts. I think there should be a recall for this all to common problem.

Hello everyone...I recently had the same problem. It was my passenger side front strut mount. There is actually a TSIB (I think that is what it is called) out on this problem...I found it at Clublexus.com. Unfortunatly I noticed mine when it was out of the manuf. warranty. Luckily I had an extended warranty so it didn't cost me much. I read a DIY procedure on that some time back on here....someone else had the same problem. You might search for it. The dealer called it my "suspension support" I think it would have been around $400 if I had to pay the dealer to do it. Maybe a little less. So, I think that is your problem as well.

• 3 months later...

Okay, did the strut mounts last weekend. Pretty straightforward job. No surprises......Except ONE! The struts still make noise!!! :censored:

It is noticeably better than before, but I am still getting the click/knock sound under various movements (steering, braking, accelerating, etc). Any way to fix this??? I fully lubricated the bearing surface areas, torqued everything to spec, and had no unforeseen problems in the fix. So what's the deal???? Any help would be VERY appreciated. As soon as I fix the truck's exhaust leak I am dumping this pink elephant and I need to fix the front end prior. The rear main seal leak will have to wait for the new owner!!!

BMW or Acura here I come! :cheers:

Okay, did the strut mounts last weekend.  Pretty straightforward job.  No surprises......Except ONE!  The struts still make noise!!!  :censored:

It is noticeably better than before, but I am still getting the click/knock sound under various movements (steering, braking, accelerating, etc).  Any way to fix this???  I fully lubricated the bearing surface areas, torqued everything to spec, and had no unforeseen problems in the fix.  So what's the deal????  Any help would be VERY appreciated.  As soon as I fix the truck's exhaust leak I am dumping this pink elephant and I need to fix the front end prior.  The rear main seal leak will have to wait for the new owner!!!

BMW or Acura here I come!  :cheers:

Sounds like it may be your struts too. I have the same problem and I'm sure it is probably both the strut mounts and the struts. You'll have to replace the struts also. This problem is also common in my 97 Supra. Had a rear knocking sound, Toyota said it was the strut mounts, replaced them, but the sound was still there but just not as bad. So now I'm replacing the struts also. I'm figuring I'll have to do the same for the RX. I have a 99 also with 112,000 miles. Good luck.

Well, after having a few days to really drive the truck, I was wrong. It isn't slightly better at all. It's exactly the same! So the money for strut mounts and a Saturday shot to hell didn't help. I am going to try SKPerformance's lubrication suggestion. Does ANYONE else have any input also? I need to fix this thing so I can dump it. No one is gonna buy it with the front end creaking/knocking/ clicking in most turns, during acceleration, deceleration, over bumps, when I sneeze (joking) etc!

PLEASE HELP! Thanks!

The classic symptom of worn-out CV joints on the front axle is when you hear "clicking" noises from your front end whenever you're turning hard in either direction, particularly at low speeds. This usually happens because the rubber CV boots crack or split and allow all the lubricating grease contained within the CV boot to escape, and at that point your CV joint is operating on metal-to-metal contact without any lubrication. It doesn't take long to wear out once this occurs.

Most Japanese vehicles built in the 1990s used CV joint technology on their front axles and I'm assuming that they still do. I'd recommend that you check this out before you spend any more money on your particular problem. If it does indeed turn out to be a CV joint issue, you may have wasted your money by replacing your strut mounts.

RX, thanks for the reply. I'm familiar with a CV joint clicking when they begin to go. This isn't the same. Beyond that, I'm clueless. Even the slightest movement can cause the knock.... And then sometimes the exact same movement causes NOTHING. I'm stumped. It's very sporadic. Someitmes quiet, other times very noticeable. All I DO know is I have to fix this. Any other advice??

THANKS in advance!!!

I had the clunks you described. Lexus replaced the struts, mounts, and performed a TSB for that noise on it. I still had the noise....

It turns out my '99 RX300 had a bad wiper motor bushing that caused the motor to creak/groan/squeak when the vehicle went over bumps at low speed, especially while turning over a bump at low speeds.

I know it sounds crazy, but my neighbor had this done on their '99 RX300 as well. When the chassis flexes, this bad wiper motor bushing did not insulate the motor which caused the motor to rub and/or clunk against it's mount.

My Lexus dealership said they see it from time to time.

Changing the wiper motor bushing absolutely fixed the problem.

I now have an '04 RX330 and like many of us now am sorting out the gremlins.

Jonathan

Thanks to everyone for your input. I read elsewhere of the wiper bushing problem. It does *sound* crazy, but I'm willing to check whatever to fix it. I am doubtful becuse I can even feel the knock slightly through my left foot (which rests on the footrest....go figure! B) ), so I'm not too optimistic about the wiper bushing. But I will check and keep you all posted. SKperformance, I am also going to lube the beejesus outta all the components early next week. Guess we'll take it from there. In the meantime, keep the suggestions coming if anyone else has a guess.

Thanks everyone!!!!