Radiator Replacement

Need to replace the radiator and have a new one being FEDEXed to the house. Looking at the car, it seems like the replacement will be fairly simple, but I have a few questions simce it's been quite a few years since I have replace a radiator.

Looks like I need to disconnect the upper and lower radiator hoses. I also need to disconnect the transmission cooler hoses.

:unsure:

1. Can these AT hoses be disconnected by just removing the hose clamp or do I need to remove the entire bushing into the radiator housing?

:o

2. Looks like there is some sort of cooling hose (possibly an oil cooling system) that goes to the fan housing (not the radiator). What is this??? and can I pull the radiator without messing with it (possibly pushing the fan back and pulling the radiator out by itself). How do iI disconnect it if I need to?

:huh:

3. There is another connection to the front of the Radiator housing that goes to a small canister that sits to the drivers side. What is this and how do I disconnect without messing anything up.

ok

first,

the hoses are right to be removed

the tranny coller hoses can be removed eaisly by undoing the clamps and slid off

the fan is hydralic not electric so leave the assembly intact with its frame work and remove it from the rad

i think you are talkign about an a/c connection which i wouldn;t remove or disconnect either. not sure as i don;t have a 92

Thanks for your help.... My son and I were able to replace the radiator in about 3 hours last night.

We found that you were right, these hydraulic lines running to the fan should not be removed. We unbolted the fan housing from the back of the radiator (after disconnectins the coolant hoses and AT fluid hoses) and removed the radiator only (without the fan). This took a little but of manipulation to clear some of the fittings, but we got it out.

It turned out that the fittings/connections on the front of the radiator, were really connections to the front of the radiator cover. Almost looks like 'fake radiator fins' are put on the front of the radiator itself. My only guess is that these are to help control the airflow and keep the real radiator from being damaged. Never saw anything like this before! :o When we puilled the actual radiator, this fin assembly stayed in place with these other connections. My guess is that they are some sort of temperature connection?

The only remaining problem that we have is that when we test drove the car, the Temp Guage keeps going up (close to the red) and down drastically. I though that iI had 'Bled' the system enough by running the engine with the radiator cap off and the heater on. I did this for a few minutes after the thermostat kicked open and I saw the coolant start to flow thru the radiator. Guess I didn't do it long enough?

Will try re-bleeding the system tonight. Any other ideas? :(

One other question.... we have an additional 'radiator cap' on top of where I would expect the thermostat to be (where the upper radiator hose connects to the engine block). What is this other cap for, and where is the thermostat in these cars. I removed this second cap and looked into what i thought was the thermostat housing and there isn't any thermostat here????? :o :o

i am guessing you have the old stlye 92-93 which has 2 rad caps

as you are at it replace both of them now

the thermostat isby the water pump housing ,i think, i never changed mine, i got it done with my wiming belt and pump years ago by a lex tech