Clanking Noise When Applying Brakes

Could be a suspension component that is stressed when weight shifts to the front of the car... Is the sound comming from the brakes? Front or rear of car?

I would inspect tie rods, links, ball joints and bushings.

Also inspect brake pads, retaining springs, and calipers for anything that is loose or looks funny.

Has there been any recent brake work performed? OE parts?

I have had a similar gremlin in my '98 GS300. The noise sounds like a "clunk" from the right rear of the car when braking aggressively. It is intermittent and no mechanic seems to be able to track it down.

The rear brakes were done to try to cure it (new pads and machined rotors) without result. All suspension components were inspected for bolt tightness and bearing and bushing problems. Again, nothing was found.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. If you find the problem, be sure to let us know!

the sound you describe sounds like the noise made by the anti-lock checking feature. Not anti-lock engagement,....just a check that is done the first time you touch brakes after firing up the car I believe.

Start keeping mental track as to whether this is the case.........I have heard of many that do it. (and mine does as well)

this happens even while after i have been driving a bit. i think it could be that the retaining clips aren't holding the pads in place to keeping them from shifting around a bit. perhaps. at somepoint i will pull the front calipers off to replace the front wheel bearings and can investigate. it is annoying but no an unsafe condition.

i did a little research on this subject and came to the conclusion that this is actually normal. i hear it often and it worried me for a long time. if you look at your owners manual it even mentions this clanking noise coming from the brakes when you first tap on them. it also happens even after a longer period of driving so try not to worry. btw i have a 98 gs300 also.

Well my car has been making this same noise from my driverside front area as i apply the brakes! i bought my car in march and it just started doing it near the end of july! i had my brakes done when i first received the car!

I brought the car to 5 mechanic shops and NONE can ell me what the noise is as stated by another user it doest do it all the time most of the time but not all, and there for on some "TEST DRIVES" that were taking by the mechanics left them dumbfounded as to what noise i was talking about! As suggested by one place it may be my balljoinst so i changed both sides!! But $285 dollars later (after ball joints were replaced)STILL MADE THE CLICKING noise! WTF :censored:

I have a 98 GS300 also and i'm starting to think this is a faulty problem with it!! Not only can the sound be heard on the inside of the car but people can hear it on the outside and it doesnt look good pulling up in a 20k+ car and its making this noise!!!

IF ANYONE FINDS OUT WHAT IT IS PLEASE NOTIFY ME ASAP!!!

THANKS

I have gs300 mk1 1998 and have the same prob, only happens after things have warmed up (10 min drive )and slow speeds turning into the drive way but not all the time.

Ive looked at everything.

come on guys what is it??????? :cries:

This clunking sound is the brake pads sliding in there caliper saddles , there is a shim kit on each wheel on the 98 gs and sometimes the shim kit gets worn and slides back and forth [ this is normal ] next time there is brake work done replace all the shims and this will suppress the clunking sound [ occasionally this happens to my gs also , I will be having my brakes done in september , I have the pads and shims in my trunk as I type ]. B)

The shimkit part # 04945-30140 and # 04946-30071 ;) and they are sold seperately. I bought mine at a lexus dealer. I put new shims on when new pads go on . It is worth it to keep the brakes in excellent working order . B)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
I had this same prob w/ my 98 gs4 and changed the pads and it went away the pads were still good but after changing them it has been gone for over 2 years good luck.

I just came back from the local Lexus dealer, complaining of this clunking noise. Mine is usually after I have backed up and applied the parking brake. Then the 1st time I apply the brakes going forward, "CLUNK" There standard answer was "Thats normal for a Lexus. Its the pads reposition themselves." So, don't know if I totally buy that, so I just emiled Lexus USA with the same complaint. I just pruched the vehicle and its Lexus certified, so I told them the brakes should not have this problem, being its Certified. We will see if I get a response or not. But it is reasureing to know others are having a clunking problem too, not just me. <_<

Just came back from my local Lexus dealer for my complaint about the clunking or clicking noise heard when applying the breaks, especially after changing directions. ie; backing up, then driving forward and applying the brakes. This is fairly normal for front brakes on alot of Lexus. Some of it depends on if you do alot of freeway driving or in town driving. He sugessted when the pads are ready for replacement to be sure and install a Fit Kit along with the new pads. I had never heard of such a thing, so I called the parts department, sure enough, there is a Fit Kit. I understand it contains new X springs, clips etc that hold the pad in place. This will help reduce the clicking or clunking noise from the front breaks when changing directions. Part # 0494730120. (about $45.00 for a front set) Of course this will only work on OEM brake pads I am sure. As far as the shim kit, those may or may not be reused, depending on condition, as the main purpose is to keep the brakes from squeeling or making noise when braking. Thats from one of their diagnostic techs who seemed very helpful. ... :D