Recommendation For Tires

ghallam

I just bought a '92 LS 400 about 3 months ago.

The front tires are slightly worn and it started slipping in the rain.

Any suggestions on which brand tire have proven reliability?

I live in Maryland -- a little snow, but mostly rain.

thanks

• 2 months later...

I have used two sets of Michelin Energy MXV4 plus from Sams at about $600 for 4. They ride and handle great and getting 45 to 50,000 miles on my 1991 LS-400. I tried one set of Toyo and did not like them and they only lasted about 40,000. They handle well in rain not sure about snow have none in my area.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm looking to spend $120 or less per tire -- nothing fancy -- 205/65/r15 current tire size

On my 92 LS, have been using Big O Legacy tires made by Goodyear with a 60K mile warranty. If anything goes bad, including flats, its free and that also includes free rotation every 5K. In our stock size, was out the door at $100 each this month [Nov 04] in the new Euro tread design and that included sales tax now at 8.75%. It did not include the 4 wheel alignment at $75. Big O is primarily out west and carries a full line of performance, SUV, and conventional tires and working their way East. Their service is excellent and they always give you a choice of aftermarket or genuine OEM parts. They also do the whole suspension thing and brakes and charge $75 per hour in this high cost of living area. I much prefer this one stop shopping over COSTCO who only sells tires and a $40 per hour saving on labor over the dealer while using OEM parts. Recent complete brake job, including new calipers in front with OEM parts, was $450. Hope this helps.

Three EXCELLENT tires at very reasonable prices should be on your 'short list' in the size you are looking for:

- Toyo Proxes T P T, 60,000 Miles rating with a smooth ride. Excellent rain weather performance & very good in snowy conditions. (I have suggested these for many ES owners & all have been very happy including myself with these tires).

- Falken Zeix ZE-512, same warranty & mileage rating as above & also a Japanese performance tire. I have put these on my wife's car about 2 months ago & she tells me they are so good she thinks the whole suspension system has been replaced. Rated 1st overall in a consumers reports test of about 18 - 20 all season performance tires (even beat the Toyo's). I have these on my short list down the road if these maintain the performance they have been for my ES.

- Yokohama Avid H4S, A high 500 treadwear rating with AA traction rating (highest there is) & an A temperature rating. Excellent reviews in both wet & snowy weather.....a little more expensive than the other 2 above but also a top name & quality tire.

I hope this helps.......I'd be leaning for the Falken & Toyo's myself if cost is a concern....you can't go wrong! Good Luck & keep is posted on your decision. Don't forget to get a 4 wheel alignment when you get your new tires installed & get a digital tire pressure guage (about $10) to maintain proper air pressure. B)

:cheers:

Three EXCELLENT tires at very reasonable prices should be on your 'short list' in the size you are looking for:

-  Toyo Proxes T P T,  60,000 Miles rating with a smooth ride.  Excellent rain weather performance & very good in snowy conditions.  (I have suggested these for many ES owners & all have been very happy including myself with these tires).

-  Falken Zeix ZE-512,  same warranty & mileage rating as above & also a Japanese performance tire.  I have put these on my wife's car about 2 months ago & she tells me they are so good she thinks the whole suspension system has been replaced.  Rated 1st overall in a consumers reports test of about 18 - 20 all season performance tires (even beat the Toyo's).   I have these on my short list down the road if these maintain the performance they have been for my ES.

-  Yokohama Avid H4S,  A high 500 treadwear rating with AA traction rating (highest there is) & an A temperature rating.  Excellent reviews in both wet & snowy weather.....a little more expensive than the other 2 above but also a top name & quality tire. 

I hope this helps.......I'd be leaning for the Falken & Toyo's myself if cost is a concern....you can't go wrong!  Good Luck & keep is posted on your decision.  Don't forget to get a 4 wheel alignment when you get your new tires installed & get a digital tire pressure guage (about $10) to maintain proper air pressure.   B)

:cheers:

ghallam,

I have the Yokohama tires that Lexusfreak stated above. I purchased them not too long ago but I'm going to need bigger rims for the Supra TT big brake system I'm installing on my car so I will be parting with my current Yokohama tires. I have a 1991 LS 400 so the size and everything should be the same as your 92 LS400. I can sell you my factory rims with the Yokohama tires for $350. I spent $440 a few months ago on them. They only have about 150 miles on them.

If you're interested, e-mail me back at brianstyles@lexusownersclub.com or if anyone else is interested in them e-mail me at that same address.

Money isn't a problem with a LEXUS.

When the Lexus is 13 years old I can understand why money would be an issue, its only worth $5-6,000. Anyways he's looking for under $120 a tire which puts many many great high performance tires in his reach, he's not wanting to put Sears brand on it or something.