Coolant Reservoir Leaks - Help

The coolant reservoir on my 92 SC400 has a hair line crack in it coming off of the level sensor. It leaks coolant. not bad, but enough so I want to fix it. Does anyone know what I can use to fix the reservoir? I have tried some plastic welds but nothing seems to hold. How much pressure should be in the reservoir tank? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I had the same problem and the previous owner had tried to repair it with silicone caulk. it seemed to be effective but it looked like crap.

i bit the bullet and bought a new one from the dealer for about $250. it took 20 minutes to replace. i did it myself and i'm not a mechanic by any stretch. i also changed the switch -- i called it a sensor, too and i was corrected -- which probably wasn't necessary.

supposedly there's an aftermarket reservoir made for a mustang that'll fit but i couldn't find it on the internet.

Thanks, I found a new reservoir tank online for $114, sounds like pretty good deal, I will silicone it until the new part arrives.

I did buy a new level sensor I have bee just using pliers to unscrew it, is that ok? I have taken it out several times as carefully as I could but don’t want to have to buy a new one. Is there a better way to remove this piece or is this ok. Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried every kind of sealant, nothing worked. I finally bit the bullet and bought a new tank for 130.00 or so. It didn't come with a new level sensor, so I got an expansion plug from the hardware store for a dollar and plugged up that hole. I don't have a sensor anymore but I haven't had any leaks.

I tried 2-part plastic weld and it didn't work, 2-part all purpose epoxy might have worked better, what worked for me was actually welding the plastic with a soldering iron and some filler plastic (don't try this at home :), the cracks sometimes go further than you can see them, one of mine went all the way down to the thread for the sensor, finally I got a new one and everything is great.

Any type of soft plastic filler will work, just test it against a clean soldering gun (electric type) after the gun heats up to make sure it'll melt nice when using it as filler, I have digital soldering gun for electronics and I found that 550 degrees +/- 25 degrees worked best.

The tank/cap holds about 13 lbs (American measurement) or 8.8 kpa (rest of the world measurement).

GOOD LUCK!!!