Lexus Dealers And Aftermarket Parts . . .

Hey Everyone,

I am going to the Lexus Dealership for my first time in my 2.5 years of owning my '92 ES300.

I was just wondering . . . does your dealer allow you to bring in aftermarket parts for them to install? Would it be insulting to even ask?

Thanks,

Bryan

They'll do anything you want them to, it's all about the Franklin's. Some of the mechanic's don't know the different parts available, and don't want to work with products they don't know. For the most part, I've had better luck doing it at a specialty shop for less money and more experience. My ES mechanic is the same guy and friend who also worked on my Tundra, and Runner. He was all about the aftermarket parts- ARB, Old Man Emu, KYB ...... I gave hime the parts, and he installed.

depends on the dealer

i wouldn;t let them install anythign as most of them will just have their guys scratching their heads,what do you want to get them to put on?

But these are the Lexus mechanics . . . shouldn't they know the car inside and out?

I don't have anything I need installed at the moment, but I was just curious. I had a used Power Steering Pump (OEM) installed at my independent mechanic and it took them over four and a half hours at $80CAN/hr! Just the installation cost me $360CAN :(

They complained about a seized bolt or something, but doesn't 4.5 hours seem excessive when they originally quote 2 hours? I figured that a Lexus mechanic should have been able to do the job in 3 or less hours, thus saving me money over the independent . . .

Regards,

Bryan

Yeah, but they make a very large (and I am pretty sure HUGE) amount of money on parts. They would much rather sell you the OEM parts themselves.

A friend of mine who once worked for GM for many years said that GM really makes very little profit on their car sales . . . maybe $500 - $1000 per car. BUT, it is in the parts sales where they make their killing.

Regards,

Bryan

My Lexus dealer does not let me bring in parts for them to install. They said it's a liability issue since they warrant all of their work for x many years and x miles. I bought a fuel filter for my LS, but I decided not to put it in myself because of the horror stories on LOC, so I called Lex of NO to see if they'd install it for me. I have the OEM, Toyota part in the box, but they still wouldn't do the job. I could only imagine what kind of face they'd make if the fuel filter was an aftermarket part! lol

:cheers:

What horror stories the filter is easy to replace with the right tools

When ever i used to go to the dealer with my car i would go around back and see the techs standing around my car playing with it rather than working on it.

This is at 2 different dealers in TO.

They know the cars well but not perofmance mods, but it depends on what they are, rememebr the only stuff they normally deal with is the L tuned stuff which is now disconinuted and came with step by step instructions from toyota

What horror stories the filter is easy to replace with the right tools

I was talking about the LS. It's up high above the diffy in the back. Gas spills everywhere, and if you want to change it but don't want to bath in gas, you have to take the backseat out etc.! If I had a lift, it could be done in no time!

:cheers: