$270 Power Steering Hose?

95LS400Bob

Either I am looking things up wrong or a PS hose for a 95 Ls400 is near $270. Mine has slight leak in rubber hose area section just before it crosses in front of the engine to the other side.

I see no reason why the tubing couln't be cut and a hydraulic shop that makes hoses crimp in a new rubber hose section.

Anybody ever done it?

I think that price was an on line price from Lexusparts. Further searching I have found one made by Omega for $126.

I have to pull it off anyway so I'll take it to a local hydraulic shop and see what they say. Parts prices for these cars is absolutely amazing. Lot of it doesn't make sense. I am a race car fabricator and engine builder with a machine shop. I may make some of my own parts at this rate.

I got the hose off and found where it leaks. Slight bubble area in the first rubber section under the protective covering.

I disconnected the hose just shy of the steering box. Evidently this is a 2 piece hose. Looks like no real access to the steering box unless I start removing parts to get to it.

Aftermarket hoses I found all have banjo fittings both ends. This means I would have to tackle getting that 2nd section off if I go aftermarket.

So..Looks like I am going to see if this hose can be made at a local hydraulic shop. I'll report back.

Good job on the fix !!!!! Maybe for clarification; did they cut the hose in half at the leak and install a crimping piece to connect these ends back together? OR, did they change the hose from one stock metal end to the other stock metal end? did they recrimp the original ends on the new hose???????

TKS for your help. I don't need one but always nice to find an inexpensive fix to counter the Lexus parts,etc. ~~~most of the time they make so it is almost imposible to substitute. ie: hood struts.

Good job on the fix !!!!! Maybe for clarification; did they cut the hose in half at the leak and install a crimping piece to connect these ends back together? OR, did they change the hose from one stock metal end to the other stock metal end? did they recrimp the original ends on the new hose???????

TKS for your help. I don't need one but always nice to find an inexpensive fix to counter the Lexus parts,etc. ~~~most of the time they make so it is almost imposible to substitute. ie: hood struts.

What we did was cut the rubber sections out and replace them with new rubber sections using 10 mm ID crimp fittings, basically just like the factory did. The Fittings and hose were rated 7000 psi, probably way over original spec. So you reuse the original tubing, mounts.

See other threads about the hood strut solution. Mine works fine with the aftermarket.

Also a note: My machinest has found that MSC Industrial supply carrys what they call "gas springs" Same as hood struts and they have many different sizes and Lb. ratings. Perhaps some of those would even work.

Joke of the week is my local Lexus dealer here in Reno Nevada. Nice selection of liscence plate holders and steering wheel covers but they carry little else. They order everything. They had no power steering hose in stock. Also I was quoted $126.95 each for strut rods, $62.66 each for struts, and $600 for a chrome wheel for a 95. Way above list price as far as I can tell.

I ordered the strut rods for $91.94 each and a pair of front struts for $85.24 last night from Park Place Lexus.

When I get the strrut rods in and the old ones out, I am going to press the bushing out and see if I can find a bushing that would repair those. Getting a lot of pressure from my wife to get this car I bought for her finished. Seems she wants to drive it. :D

TKS--good job.

I already did the Autozone hood strut job-just used the struts as an example. Get most all of my OEM stuff at irontoad.com and have been pleased.

Seems like your dealer there survives on loaner car charges for folks awaiting major Lexus parts to be received; hard to imagine in a city as large and affluent as Reno.

Let us all know the results of the strut job (haven't gone there; only did lower ball joints on the front); will be interesting to get more info.

tks again~~~~~