Hummingbird Sound

aprlleung

when i start my car early in the morning, there's noise sounds like hummingbird. however, it went away after 15 minutes. it happens when i drive home after work. the dearler told me it is the friction of the belt which is not a major problem. is there anything on the market that can make it go away? i'm so embarrassing every time i start my car in the parking lot.

when i start my car early in the morning, there's noise sounds like hummingbird. however, it went away after 15 minutes. it happens when i drive home after work. the dearler told me it is the friction of the belt which is not a major problem. is there anything on the market that can make it go away? i'm so embarrassing every time i start my car in the parking lot.

what year/model is it?

i get something similair on my 2001 RX300...in the mornings or when its first started, theres an additional high pitched whirring in the engine noise. It goes away after 15 minutes. I think someone told me once it was the ABS running self-diagnostics or something and not to worry about it. But Id love to know for sure....??

llose belts as well as the alternator causes extra load on the belt casuing it to slip

another problem can be runnign the a/c as soon as the engien is started as their is enough strain on the belt already which causes it to slip

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem with the noise in my 2001 RX. The dealer changed the belts and it is back to normal.

Go to your dealer and ask them to change the belts. Mine was done under the warranty.

Good luck

• 11 months later...

I realize that this is an old message string, but if anyone's still out there, I am having similar problem with my '99 RX 300. In the morning, with the AC off, I almost always have 15 minutes of high-pitched chirping/whirring sound coming from engine. I asked my dad about the belts, which I had read about here, but he thought it sound like bearings in the alternator. He didn't think that the belts, as they are made today with the grooves, had as much slippage potential.

Obviously at ~$250 for a rebuilt alternator, I don't want to replace if I don't have to. Any suggestions?

I agree.

Try a little belt dressing to make sure it is the belts. This won't cure it for long.

Once you know it is the belts, you can have them changed and get peace of mind.

Mine made lots of noise until I changed the belts.

Tom

Thanks for the replies. I'm wondering if the problem is loose belts or bad belts? How long do belts usually last? I had one response from a guy who said he changed his belts at 90k miles. I have only 60k on my belts now, and honestly, they don't look bad, not that I would really know what bad belts look like, but they're not cracked.

Where can you find belt dressing and what exactly does it do?

Hi,

Actually I came here to ask a question...But..

That sound had bothered me in March this year. I followed advices post here and they rearranged A/C thermoregulatory metal piece. Of course, they did ABS check, too.

Until now I don't have any problem with THAT sound anyway.

Hope this will help.

JH