Want To Buy An Sc 300/400. Help Me Decide!

zhagg

I've built a '91 CRX Si wth a turbocharged B16. It's fun. I like it a lot and it scares the crap out of me when I slam the gas. So why would I need something else? I need to drift... I want RWD and I think the SC series is probably the best aged and refined older RWD car available. I know there are some pretty new SCs out there, but I'm talking more about the '94s and '96s etc. that I can more likely afford to play with. I just can't decide between the two... Can the folks on the forum help me out?

No matter what, the engine will be turbo'd. With the V8, I'll have to do a lot of custom fabbing which is fine. I had to fab most of my CRX turbo system because I refused to purchase a "kit." What are some of the key advantages/disadvantages of the SC400 vs. SC300? How does weight distro. compare? Is the V8 internally as stout as the I6? What's the most economical option for turbocharging if my goal is to get above 400 WHP? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

If you are really interested in building a 400hp+ Lexus I would go for the sc400. Stay in the early years due to emissions/intake changes made on the 97 and later models. If its good reliable horsepower you want then check into supercharging the sc400. Go to http://www.forcedairtech.com.au/main.htm Forced air technologies. They offer a turnkey 7psi kit that will put your horsepower up to 420hp, and that’s not sacrificing reliability and you can do it on premium fuel. Then if you really want to get crazy they offer a 12 psi kit that will push your Lexus to new levels. Their kit currently fits up to 96 models, however I have been working directly with them to get a raw casting of the intake that I will be machining here in the states. This is hopefully going to remedy the later model fit up dilemma. Once I get it all together, I will let you know how it goes. I hope within the next 6 months to have my 97 sc400 taking deep big breaths of air.

Later,

Scott

Thanks for the advice! I'm sorta scared of superchargers though... They're typically really expensine and there's no way around it. I can fab a turbo set-up for relatively low cost, but then again, it won't have the instant response of the s.c. You are recommending the SC400 though. With 7lbs. supercharged ppl are reaching 420 HP!!?? I wonder if I could get the same results with 7lbs from an intercooled turbo... Thanks again for the reply!!

You've picked a pretty good platform for drifting, although we are quite a bit hefty weighing in 200lbs more than the supra.

Its mainly a choice of preference... The SC300 can be just as powerful as the 400 depends on what you like.. for drifting purposes I prefer the SC300, the chassis can support an engine swap (1JZ-GTE from the Japanese Soarer, or the 2JZ-GTE found in the Supra) and it is available in manual transmission, where as the SC400 isn't. No heel-toeing, no rev-matching, etc. A little bit harder to execute a good drift in an auto.

Either or.. the SC platforms rock B)