Oil Change And Rear Brakes

jin123

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. A friend of mine has a 99 RX300 that I'd like to change the oil for him and the rear brake pads. But before I do that, I have some questions for the experts here.

-Is a new oil drain plug gasket required with every oil change?

-What are the torque specs for the drain plug?

-What brand of filter and oil is best?

Rear brake pads:

-Do I need a special tool to compress the brake piston?

-What brand and type of pads is best?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Hi,

I'm also new in this forum. I just bought a used 2002 2WD and would like to change the oil myself with Mobil1. I think I found the filter but not sure where the drain plug is. I checked underneath and found a bolt and an allen type. Which one is for the oil?

I also read that the gasket should also be changed. Where could I get it besides the dealer? Appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Depends on whether or not you have alot of respect for the engineering work and achievements of the Lexus engineers? If so, use the same brake pads, oil and filters that came with your car as they have been painstakingly designed, tested and engineered to deliver maximum component / vehicle reliability and durability.

If not, use whatever oils, filters and brake pads the Americans on this forum recommend which is typically Mobil 1 oil and K&N oil and air filters and aftermarket brake pads and rotors such as Brembo's.