Check Engine Light

BillyC

When your check engine light comes on, do you feel that it is urgent to get your car to the dealer for repair? The check engine light on my 91 LS400 has been on and off for 6 months and recently began to stay on full time. Since there has been no change in performance, I am inclined to just let it stay on rather than take it to the dealer for the minimum $300 charge for changing out a sensor. What do you do when your car's check engine light comes on?

BillyC

91LS400

216,000 miles

I'm new to Lexus but have been a mechanic all my life. My 95 also has a check engine light on and soon to be tackling that problem. So everything I say below is general and not lexus related as I don't have experience with a lexus. Yet. Give me a week. I fix everything myself and no car I have ever had goes to the dealer.

You need a diagnostic code reader to determine what the "problem" code is. On most cars that seem to be running normally that have a check engine light on, the problem is more emissions related. I'll be hunting a low cost code reader and will report back here if I find one. Someone probably has a list of trouble codes here on the forum.

In the meantime I say "drive it on."

billyc, you dont have to go to the dealer, there is a procedure to take the error code by urself, im sure one of our experienced 91 ls owners will tell u how to do that.

Bob, you can just step by by the autozone and they will readthe codes for you free of charge. write them down andpost them here and i will give u complete info and troubleshooting howto from the factory repair manual

billyc, you dont have to go to the dealer, there is a procedure to take the error code by urself, im sure one of our experienced 91 ls owners will tell u how to do that.

Bob, you can just step by by the autozone and they will readthe codes for you free of charge. write them down andpost them here and i will give u complete info and troubleshooting howto from the factory repair manual

Thanks! I am headed over there shortly to get some hood supports. Soon as I can keep the hood open (without the use of a golf club as a hood prop rod :rolleyes: ) I will head over there and get the codes read. Much to do on this car.

I had my check engine light diagnosed today at the local Toyota (not Lexus) Dealer. It cost $40.00 which can be applied to the bill if I take it back for repair. The diagnosis was plugged up EGR pipe. They thought that it could be cleaned out and that would solve the problem. Cost would be $155.00. My car is running so well that I really hate to start messing with it. Are there any dire consequences of just letting the EGR stay plugged?

Thanks,

BillyC

91LS400

216,000 miles

I had my check engine light diagnosed today at the local Toyota (not Lexus) Dealer. It cost $40.00 which can be applied to the bill if I take it back for repair. The diagnosis was plugged up EGR pipe. They thought that it could be cleaned out and that would solve the problem. Cost would be $155.00. My car is running so well that I really hate to start messing with it. Are there any dire consequences of just letting the EGR stay plugged?

Thanks,

BillyC

91LS400

216,000 miles

Well, getting the EGR Piping repaired will help your fuel economy and performanc of your motor.

You may even feel the difference. :lol: