99 Ls400 With Bad Radio Lcd

afaleti

Good News:

I just got a 99 LS400 with 50400 miles and in very good condition, the dealer records shows that the original owner did all the service up to 45000.

Bad News (Not so bad radio works )

I noticed that some of my digits on the radio was missing or fading and it seems like a known bug with the Lexus !

I have a 94GS which i have had for 8 years with all the LCD as clear as new.

Question:

What is the best practice "excluding the dealer" to replace a failing LCD unit?

Does anyone know a reliable source where i can get the complete LCD and board assembly with cables

so that the replacement would just be plug and play.

I would also need directions on how to remove and replace the Radio.

Thanks

What a gorgeous car!!! I LOVE that year! :D My radio lcd is showing hieroglyphics too. I'm going to have Mikado do mine next week. It'll end up costing about $200($150 for part/labor and shipping back and forth). When I spoke to them about setting up the job to do my radio lcd, he said he would sell me just the lcd itself. I told him no and didn't even ask the price because I have no desire to solder that thing in! Here are the directions for the 95-97; the '99 should be very, very similar since I think the only change on the center stack was the location of the ambient temp and time. http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalLexusLS400str1.htm

:cheers:

Excellent choice.

afaleti:

Sorry, I just noticed your post on the Climate/Clock Thread. No, I didn't spend $0.00 rebuilding my climate control system. I originally thought United Radio would have been able to fix the problem, but no. I used Mikado to have it rebuilt.

There is another source you could contact. Read through the rest of that thread and you'll notice an email address for Jim Walker. Try touching base with him. You can mention Lexusownersclub referred you to him.

BTW: where in Maryland are you if you don't mind me asking?

Here are some instructions on removing the radio/climate controls. They are for 95-97 but the procedure is the same for 98-00.

http://carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalLexusLS400str1.htm

I found that a 1 or 1 1/2 inch stiff blade putty knife well taped with electrical tape words very well. (A screwdriver can put too much pressure on a small area of the wood trim.) I've had the radio out of my 00 LS two or three times. One caution: the wood trim is thinner and more fragile than the early models. Work your way gradually and it will pop right up. Be sure to protect the vinyl around and below the radio with a towel or similar - it is easily scarred as I found out on a previous LS.

im not sure if its true for the 99LS but in my 93LS if i let my car bake in heat for a while the screen turns into new for a day or 2, there is a very very good website for switching your lcd screen but im way too lazy to solder and way to afarid to mess it up but here it is anyways here

gl with any changes hope it helps

I went and checked the removal information for the 90-94- seems as if it is much more simple to remove on these cars. On the 95-97 information- I keep seeing the word "pry" a lot. This is where I would break something. <_< ;)

Interesting link on above post. Lot of great information there. I had no idea there was that much electrical wiring behind that center panel.

Whose car is that? Are those guages blue, or is it just the way the camera took the photos (lighting)? I have heard there is something you can do to change the colors of the instrument lights, but not sure.

if u check out the some of the other tutorials on that site u will see that there are ways to change the colors of the lights for instance the standard green light around the ingition is blue is cus he replaced the standard green bulb for a blue LED this guy's site is great, not much help for the newer generations though sorry

if u check out the some of the other tutorials on that site u will see that there are ways to change the colors of the lights for instance the standard green light around the ingition is blue is cus he replaced the standard green bulb for a blue LED this guy's site is great, not much help for the newer generations though sorry

Yes, it is a great site- Now that you mentioned it- I do not think my ignition light works. What could the problem be? Bad bulb in there? How do you replace it? Thanks.

I'm assuming you didn't buy it from a Lexus dealer? It's not a CPO vehicle?

My '99 LS had the same problem (Bought it in June with 50,900 miles) and they replaced the whole head unit no charge to me. Of course, I probably paid a couple of grand for that warranty.

Incidentally, mine's Black with Black interior and Chrome wheels, pretty close!

Bob Graham

I'm assuming you didn't buy it from a Lexus dealer? It's not a CPO vehicle?

My '99 LS had the same problem (Bought it in June with 50,900 miles) and they replaced the whole head unit no charge to me. Of course, I probably paid a couple of grand for that warranty.

Incidentally, mine's Black with Black interior and Chrome wheels, pretty close!

Bob Graham

Yep cars are close. I have 50,499 Miles

I plan to put an average of 5K Miles per year for 4 years.

I am thinking of getting the warranty as soon as i fix the radio LCD.

Funny because i posted a question about extended warranty but nobody

responded. It must be a taboo on the forums (LOL)

I was quoted 1500 (AAA) & 1900 (Lexus Pinnacle)

Who are you using for your warranty.

Thanks

I was quoted 1500 (AAA) & 1900 (Lexus Pinnacle)

Who are you using for your warranty.

Thanks

I'm referring to the Certified Pre-Owned Lexus warranty, which is only available when you're buying the car used from a Lexus dealer. I'm thinking yours came from another dealer? If it had come from a Lexus dealer it would have had the CPO warranty, (I think) it's practically automatic if the car is less than 5 yrs old and has less than 60,000 miles on it. Supposedly it has to pass a check list to qualify for the program, but almost all off-lease cars become cpo vehicles.

The Lexus CPO program covers just about everything other than light bulbs, brake pads and other normal wear items. It might be hard to find such a warranty elsewhere. The main thing most aftermarket warranties cover is drivetrain, and you probably won't have any problems there.

Bob