Es 330 Fuel Consumption

Hi all:

I recently bought a 2004 ES 330 with about 9,000 miles (certified). I have filled the tank up a couple of times since I purchased the car. Unfortunately, I believe something is not quite right.

The trip computer shows a range once I have a full tank of around 280 miles. In addition, the average miles per gallon shows as 28. Based on my understanding, I have an 18.5 gallon tank....so I should be achieving approximately 470 to 500+ between trips to the gas station. I actually get around 300 miles before the needle shows empty.

What am I missing?

Thanks, Scottish007

I wouldn't worry about this readout since there are too many variables with the computer as to why it gives you this reading. My '03 can vary between 280 to over 300 after a fillup. In other words, it not an accurate indication. ;)

The computer that controls this operation has absolutely nothing to do with the octane rating, or the quality of the fuel. There is always a variation on the trip mileage after a fillup. This device is not so sophisticated as to read the chemical composition of what is in your gas tank.

What this computer does is it takes all the previous measurements pertaining to speed, miles per gallon, etc, and determines approximately what the readout should be on your next fillup.

When I do strictly highway driving I'll get a much higher reading as opposed to city driving.

I find the range readout on my ES is pretty much useless and not accurate. Like you the MPG and the size of the tank make the range (usually 280 after a fillup for me too) obviously false.

Thanks for the responses. I did believe that the range readout was inaccurate. However, quite honestly, I am a little surprised that it is so off. That said, I have started tracking miles and associated fuel consumption with the trip meter. With gas as expensive as it is today, I need to track and budget for gas cost. :censored:

Since the day one on my ES330, I have been keeping track of the accuracy of my computer and happy to say that it has been accurate.

One thing I did notice is that, on the first shutoff of the pump on the tankful of gas the computer is accurate to +/- .3 mpg. but when you continue trying to add more fuel after the first pump shutoff, the accuracy changes to almost 1 mpg.

Try measuring the mpg both ways and see if you get a more accurate reading.

Since the day one on my ES330, I have been keeping track of the accuracy of my computer and happy to say that it has been accurate.

One thing I did notice is that, on the first shutoff of the pump on the tankful of gas the computer is accurate to +/- .3 mpg. but when you continue trying to add more fuel after the first pump shutoff, the accuracy changes to almost 1 mpg.

Try measuring the mpg both ways and see if you get a more accurate reading.

I concour.

Same experience with me.

I find the trip meter to be very accurate. I have also noted that when I go from full to light on, that usually means I have about 3 gallons left in the tank.

steviej