Freaking Emergency Brake On 94 Gs 300

The emergency brake light comes on and off. When I'm driving I can feel the car suddenly slow down sometimes. The emergency brake is coming into contact with whatever it is supposed to come in contact with while I'm driving. Someone told me that the E-brake is built into the calipers(?) or something.

How do I fix this?

When I apply the regular brakes the back ones squeal, get heated, and start to smell. I have replaced the back brakes, but I know it has something to do with the emergency brake messing things up.

Sometimes I open my window and drive slow to listen and I can hear something that sounds like plastic or that sound when you slowly apply the e-brake.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had similar problems and they seem to stem from the emergency brake cable. Apparently, they tend to fray over the years and that causes binding. Once you apply the emerg brake, it remains on even after releasing. Very frustrating and very annoying. It's a shoe-type system inside the hub of the rear drum, so they just continue to drag and wear out. Mine are shot and require replacement, so I've had to do without the emerg brake for months now. Not good.

Had the same problem with the hood release cable which I HAD to replace, as the hood would pop open (to the safety latch point) when going over severe bumps. Since installing a new cable, no problems at all.

Hope this helps.

Rear DRUM? Don't all GSs have 4 wheel DISC brakes? Newbie to the Lexus, maybe I'm missing something.......... Anyway my e-brake is doing something similar. When I release it, it doesn't come all the way way back. Is this the cable too?