Trac Off, Vsc, Check Engine..oh No!

GOLDPLATER

Here in New Jersey, it is against the law to pump your own gas. You would think gas would cost more because station owners have to pay someone to pump the gas for you but since it is a state wide law, prices aren't affected.

I am telling you this because it is the sole reason for the 3 alarm indications that popped up on my screen a few days ago. What the #@&* is this i said to myself. My brand new car with all these warning indicators! I called the dealer and was told to "Check my gas cap". I opened the cover and sure enough, the damn attendant didn't screw the gas cap back on. :censored:

So i screwed the cap back on and started the engine... Alarm indicators still remained. Called the dealer back and was told to bring the car in. After 1 hr at the dealer i got my car back detailed and no more alarms. All the dealer did was reset the computer codes. :D

So if this ever happens to you, don't get yourself up in a panic and rage, just check the gas cap and visit your dealer for reset.

John

One of the first things I did when I bought my '94LS was to drill a hole in the gas cap handle, and thread a plastic coated wire through it. I attached the wire to a screw that holds the fill-up pipe in place. This way, an attendent-or a confused owner-can't place a loose cap on top of the pump, and then forget about it-and drive away. Funny thing is that we almost always close the gas cover-but sometimes forget to screw the cap on first. Can't do it with the cap hanging out there.

I traded a Honda in on the Lexus, and I remember that several times I forgot to put the cap back on the Honda. After 50 miles or so, a light would come on, and I would run to the store to buy a new cap. And the light would go off.

It's obvious that, as a person drives a more expensive car like a Lexus, the manufacturer devises more questionable ways to profit from minor problems. This is a perfect example.