Extended Warranty Options

Victor

Hi Everybody,

I just purchased a 2002 LX470 with 54,000 miles on the odometer. I'd like to buy a warranty but it seems that there a number of companies out there. Does anyone have a suggestion or recommendation. I received one quote yesterday from an outfit that claims to have been around since 1988. Pretty much new car coverage for $2,248.00 for up to 100,000 miles on the OD with a $50 deductible per visit to the shop (including Lexus dealers). Does this sound like a good deal?

Thanks,

Victor

I took the plunge today and purchased an extended warranty. After doing a lot of exhaustive research and comparison, I purchased a plan from 1SourceAutoWarranty. I was able to get their Diamond package which is bumper to bumper coverage and includes wear and tear. It even covers the navigation unit which is the only outfit that does. A $0 deductible and I can take it to any Lexus Dealer or anyone else. It's got me covered up to 100,000 on the OD or 36 months. I paid $1,889 for it. They're insured and reinsured by an A class insurance company so I feel pretty safe about my policy. Leaving for vacation tomorrow and taking the new ride so I'm feeling safe and secure. :D

I have a 2000 and I just purchased the lexus extended warranty for 3yr/36K miles for $2,500. Before the warranty, I had a problem with my mirror (would not return properly when shifting from reverse) and lexus covered replacing both of them ($1,200) and I had to pay $98 laor. After reading some posts on this site (about the steering wheel, transmissions, head gaskets, etc.) and thinking about all the high tech stuff on these I decided to buy the warranty. It felt great, I suddenly didn't have any worries. The peace of mind was worth it. The truck is in the shop now having a noise in the stearing wheel fixed (it made a chatter/grinding sound upon retraction), the cruise control acted up on a road trip and the lumbar was a bit irratic. It's waiting on parts so I don't know what the total will be yet. The nice thing is it doesn't matter... it under warranty! I will probably sell it before the warranty expires to give someone else the peace of mind of buying a used truck.

A follow up on my warranty purchase. I took the truck into the dealer as stated above and they ended up replacing the lumbar inflator ($800), replacing the exhaust manifold gasket on the passenger side ($700), replacing the antenna motor ($300), replacing the cruise control switch ($250) and replacing some parts in the stearing wheel ($300). It took almost 2 weeks to get the parts and work completed. They provided me a loaner RX330 (don't have 470 loaners) for the duration. I picked it up today and drove off without paying a cent. My warranty has already paid for itself and I am only 4 weeks into a 3 year 36,000 mile plan. I will plan to sell it before the warranty runs out and give the protection to the next guy. I should probably run off to vegas this weekend... :cheers:

Jarcara,

You've just completely validated my decision to buy an extended warrranty. I also think you're correct in leaving some warranty left when you're ready to sell as I would think it would sell much quicker and at a better price. Haven't had any repair issues yet, but I know I've got up to 45,000 miles left for something to go wrong and inevitably something probably will. And as you have pointed out, nothing is cheap on a Lexus.

Cheers!! ;)

When I bought my LX450 from an independent high-end dealer, it came with a 1-year motor and power train warranty from The Penn Warranty Corporation. They say in the contract that it even covers head gaskets. The truck can go to any Lexus dealer in the USA for repairs. They just sent me a renewal notice and the cost are as follows.

6-months $180.00

12-months $300.00

24-months $480.00

36-months $540.00

I never had to use it, and I never researched the company. My dealer swears by them and does not sell a car without at least the one-year warranty worked into the price. He sells Lexus, BMW, Porsche, so on and doesn't want to take a chance.

The number of the company (Penn) is 1-800-356-9441. You must have less than 125,000 miles on the vehicle.

Dakrri

I purchased a 2000 LX 470 last Sunday evening from an auto broker, vehicle had 38,000 miles on it, and perfect condition... after a little research (not much though) i decided that the relationship that I have with my lexus dealer is GREAT, i mean GREAT... they have been servicing my ES 300 (1996) for 5 years... long story short, Lexus offered a 7 year 100,000 "bumber to bumber" (even fresh starbucks coffee in waiting room) for $2,675... higher then the private guys, yes, but you know that Lexus is Lexus is Lexus, the extra $800 to $1000 is great piece of mind!

• 3 weeks later...

Good day all, i purchased a 2000 LX 470 with 38k about 4 weeks ago. posted on here and a couple days later decided to buy Lexus Platinum Warranty (which goes 3 more years or 100k total miles)... it cost about $2600...

well, the day after i bought it, i had a long road trip for biz... heard most annoying rattle from the rear seat... took it back to dealer, they had three guys go out in it to look (driver, and one guy each laying on floors to listen) they heard it immediately.

turns out is was a defective seat track, not only annoying in rattle but maybe even safety hazard... well, Lexus ordered new one, installed, provided warranty, whole nine yards, NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

i own 2 lexus, i guess that makes me a LEXI owner... 96 es 300 (91K) and 00 lx 470...

go with dealer warranty, more expensive, sure but well... go with the best and they will treat you great!

good luck.

My warranty has been up since feb/march. Would I be able to purchase a extended warranty from lexus that would cover the mirror not going back up and the steering wheel chattering on retraction along with everything else? I mean, I noticed the problems but never acted on them till i just read about them. If I were to purchase the plan, could i go in the next day and get all the stuff serviced without having to pay for it like i didnt have a extended warranty?

Edit:Lexus or any other extended warranty program a certified Lexus Dealership is willing to work with without hassle on my end. Already see 1500 in repairs and wouldnt doubt more to come since its my everyday driver.

Edited by PitbullLX964

To get the warranty from lexus I had to have an "inspection" where they checked everything out for $90 before they would issue the warranty. This was because I did not purchase it from the dealer so they didn't know anything about the vehicle (other than service history).

PS. I had the same mirror problem on my truck and the dealer had to replace both mirrors. I had 58K miles on it in January/Feb, it was out of warranty but my service guy called Lexus and they covered the mirrors for me ($1,200), I just paid the labor to install them ($95). I called his manager, the general manager and the owner to praise him for taking the initiative with Lexus for me. I had since purchased the warranty from Lexus and between that and the above service items it has more than paid for itself. Now I don't have to live with anything or worry about what could possibly go wrong next. Peace of mind is worth it. Go get one!

Well, To get the warranty, should i have them inspect it...i bought it at the place i would take it to most likely. Would they not issue the warranty, or at least not cover my mirrors and steering wheel because theres something wrong with it before i were to get the warranty? Is the Mirror problem and wheel a known problem throughout lexus and would they still fix it?

Thanks in advance

• 4 months later...

So what has your experience been to date with 1source? I'm looking at purchasing the same plan and wondered if you had any direct dealings with them since you signed up with them.

Thanks.

I took the plunge today and purchased an extended warranty.  After doing a lot of exhaustive research and comparison, I purchased a plan from 1SourceAutoWarranty.  I was able to get their Diamond package which is bumper to bumper coverage and includes wear and tear.  It even covers the navigation unit which is the only outfit that does.  A $0 deductible and I can take it to any Lexus Dealer or anyone else.  It's got me covered up to 100,000 on the OD or 36 months.  I paid $1,889 for it.  They're insured and reinsured by an A class insurance company so I feel pretty safe about my policy.  Leaving for vacation tomorrow and taking the new ride so I'm feeling safe and secure.  :D

Hi Curious1,

So far, everything has been fine. I've only had to take my Lexus in for service once and it was only for a blown out subwoofer. I know it seems like a silly thing for just a speaker and all but I was curious how well 1Source would respond and react. My Lexus dealer told me that he never heard of a 3rd party warranty company paying for something like this before. 1SourceAW came through with flying colors and paid for the whole thing. I initially thought it might be about a $150 repair. With labor and speaker the bill came up to $521.00 for one speaker. I couldn't believe it. I have the Mark Levinson system, but holy cow!!! I practically kissed my warranty paperwork when I got into my car. I can say that I'm extremely satisfied with 1Source. It was simple and easy and completely painless. There's a great deal of piece of mind too knowing that you're protected. Who needs a $2K or $3K repair bill anyway. I suppose some repairs can go much higher. I may never need it again as long as I have my LX470, but at least I know it's there just in case. I give 1SourceAutoWarranty thumbs up.

Good Luck

Victor :)

So what has your experience been to date with 1source?  I'm looking at purchasing the same plan and wondered if you had  any direct dealings with them since you signed up with them.

Thanks.

I took the plunge today and purchased an extended warranty.  After doing a lot of exhaustive research and comparison, I purchased a plan from 1SourceAutoWarranty.  I was able to get their Diamond package which is bumper to bumper coverage and includes wear and tear.  It even covers the navigation unit which is the only outfit that does.  A $0 deductible and I can take it to any Lexus Dealer or anyone else.  It's got me covered up to 100,000 on the OD or 36 months.  I paid $1,889 for it.  They're insured and reinsured by an A class insurance company so I feel pretty safe about my policy.  Leaving for vacation tomorrow and taking the new ride so I'm feeling safe and secure.   :D

• 1 month later...

If you think 1sourceautowarranty is up to snuff...you better check out this link!!!

There are also various complaints filed with the attorney generals office...an internet search revealed all of this and more.....

the BBB has received one complaint on this company every 5 days....for the past 3 years!!!!!!!!!

http://www.data.bbb.org/denver2.asp

Perry

if that bbb link does not work...do the following:

1. go to www.bbb.com

2. under "check it out" reference tab in the upper left of the page, click on "bussiniess"

3. Under name (there will be a green dot marked here), type in "1sourceautowarranty"

4. Click on the name "1sourceautowarranty" under the results tab---it should be the only result that pops up from the search.

read the report...........