Looking At Maybe Getting An Is

legsus

im looking at getting a used IS, probably an 02 for the 5spd, but i hear that the car lacks in the power department. what are some good mods to boost up the hp relatively easily? right now i have an 01 mustang Gt which im getting rid of to get this car, so im hoping the to get the power of the IS near what the stang does.

it'll be hard to get the hp/tq of the V8 with bolt ons... Turbo is going to be your most efficent way of getting comparable (probably much more) power to a V8. low end torque will never be like that of the v8, but boost it, and I doubt you'll ever look back :)

I'm going to say that you might want to think about a supercharger over the turbo. First of all you are used to the low end torque from the Stang. With a turbo you are going to experience turbo lag, but with a supercharge you will have boost at all levels. Now if you are going for major power you will never get it out of a supercharger, but if you are only looking for 300 or/so rwhp then supercharger will suit you just fine. Another reason to not go with a turbo is that driving a turbo IS is like driving a rocket. You get no response until the turbo spools and then it throws you back in your seat. This is cool if your only intension is to drag race, but if you enjoy the twisties that's another story. From what I hear adding the turbo takes away all of the beautiful handling abilities that make the IS such a great car to own. Lastly the transmission in the IS is a little on the weak side. Going with a supercharger will ease the load you put on it because the power is steady. It isn't all of the sudden like you would receive when the turbo spools up and you get positive pressure. I personally don't have any boost, but I do know people that do and have read a lot about it for the IS on is300.net. You might want to check there because most of what you are looking for can be found there.

01 V8 GT with what 260HP stock compared to an IS300 I-6 with 215HP? Thats a big difference to me. I guess you gotta sacrifice power and speed for reliability and luxury.

If I could keep only one car out of a Mustang GT / Cobra and the IS, it would would probably end up being the IS by just a nose. Im just happy i dont have to shift anymore, the ride quality & handling is WAY better, and i have somewhat a peace of mind that something wont go wrong with any parts on the car if i choose to hit 100+MPH on the highway. Test drive an IS and take your time with your decision.

Remember "F-O-R-D" Found On Road Dead etc. etc. etc.

LOL :D , Whenever i get an itch to smell some rubber and I just get in the Cobra and let it all out.

well, one of the reasons im getting rid of the stang is that its auto, and that its loud, and that its bouncy, and...list goes on. the car has been giving me problems, the cops are always looking at me, so i just think that its better that i get rid of it. not to mention the IS is luxury, looks good, and the interior isnt made of all plastic. so im probably gonna end up getting an 02 5spd IS. only problem is finding the one i want at a good price...