Quiet Tires

I had Eagle F1s in My GS for a while - great tires but quite noisy (although the new GS-D3 tread pattern may be an improvement).

I'd really recommend Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position SO3 now though - every bit as good as the F1 but MUCH quieter. One of the the few AAA-rated tyres around (apparently).

• 1 year later...

I am in the same situation and am going with, after alot of research, the all new Goodyear Assurance. They are a new line from Goodyear for luxury cars and smooth ride. Plus they are designed for wet driving too. And an 80,000 mile tread warrenty. Not that any of us will have them that long but it's good to know. I'm giving them a try. And best of all, there is a 30 day trial period. So wish me luck. I wish you the same! Check them out at goodyear.com

Seann

I am in the same situation and am going with, after alot of research, the all new Goodyear Assurance.  They are a new line from Goodyear for luxury cars and smooth ride.  Plus they are designed for wet driving too.  And an 80,000 mile tread warrenty.  Not that any of us will have them that long but it's good to know.  I'm giving them a try.  And best of all, there is a 30 day trial period.  So wish me luck.  I wish you the same!  Check them out at goodyear.com

Seann

Falken Ziex ZE512's are what i and many other people on this forum would reccomend.

what kin fo car are you putting them on?

www.discounttiredirect.com

I am in the same situation and am going with, after alot of research, the all new Goodyear Assurance.  They are a new line from Goodyear for luxury cars and smooth ride.

Your "research" was all done on the internet. Internet websites are geared to promote and sell new tire designs like the Goodyear Assurance because there's more profit in new tire designs.

There are older tire designs that ride smoother and just as quietly than the Goodyear Assurance but you'll never find out about them by doing internet "research" because they are old, low priced, low profit designs.

Now in regard to the Goodyear Assurance Comfortred I admittedly got suckered into buying them based on internet "research" I found they do provide a quiet ride, but just barely quieter than many other designs. The Comfortreds, however, have three nasty side effects that detract from the the luxuiry car driving experience:

1) They transmit every little minor road imperfection to the car body. Big bumps are absorbed very well, but little bumps are not. Result: The ride feel constantly busy instead of relaxed and serene.

2) They degrade directional stability so constant small steering corrections are required to maintain a straight course on the highway. This adds to driver fatigue.

3. They have high rolling resistance. Instantly you will notice a 1-2 MPG loss in fuel economy and you will notice your car does not coast down hills as fast as it used to.

Ironically I have found an old design, low priced, low rolling resistance Goodyear tire that delivers a relaxed, quiet and serene ride and good directional stability is the Goodyear Viva 2 found only at Walmart stores and maybe Sams Club. The Viva 2 is not real good for high speed cornering or wet traction however, as it relies on old soft sidewall technology to deliver a bump smothering, relaxed and quiet ride, plus low rolling resistance.

Gee, okay I guess it's back to the tire dealer then. I referenced the website as more of an intro to the tire rather than actual "research". Shopping and poking around tire dealers, car dealers, and forum groups did that. For a bit of time I was sold on the Continental line after talking to the family's Mercedes dealer, but choose instead to keep shopping. I never had good luck with Goodyear in the past, which pushed me away from the Eagle series and others. It wasn't until I was ready to put Yokahama's on that the store manager talked to me about spending a bit less and going the with Goodyear's. I have yet to put anything on opting instead to talk to GS owners as particular tires fit better for particular car models.

So here I am, back to the search I guess. I probably would have never noticed the drag, as I tend to do a lot of mixed driving which makes it hard to pin point any steady fuel consumption. But I definitely notice having to constantly correct steering paths while on the highway here in California. I would give up a small bump in the road here and there if I could get away for the constant task of fighting off the tracking issues we seem to suffer so badly with on our roads down here. (LA to San Diego).

Thanks for the note back. Maybe I'll lean towards Yokahama's again. I have been hearing good things about them.