Es300 Turn Signal

Les

What year is your ES? The '92-'96 models have one piece headlamp assy, and the '97-'01 models have the 2-piece kind. Both require slightly different removal methods for the bulbs.

I have a 2000 ES as well and I too need to replace the turn signal bulb and can't seem to find the part at any online stores. Maybe I'd better buy the bulb from the dealer.

BTW, I wrote a new post yesterday about my newly encountered problem with my car's turn signal and one of the forum managers right away locked my post saying that it's a common problem and I should do a search. I did do a search and found some helpful information, but still, I don't think there was a need to lock my post anyway. I had a few never-been-asked questions and that would have led to new answers from fellow Lexus owners.

I believe some people apparently think they own this forum and when they see a topic they themselves think it's common, they just decide that it's not worth starting a new post. I call that a dictatorship and if that is the case around here, I could careless about this forum and meet my needs elsewhere or not.

Just for everyone out there with the '92-'96, here is the procedure:

1.) Pull off the black plastic cover that goes across the front of the engine bay. It is held in place by plastic clips.

2.) The headlight assembly is help in place by three bolts (I believe they are 10mm, but can't remember for sure). Loosen these bolts.

3.) Unclip the wiring harnesses for the low and high beams at the back of the headlight assembly

4.) Pull the headlight away from the car (careful not to scratch your paint!) The headlight and turn signal is one unit.

5.) Unclip the smaller wiring harness for the turn signal

6.) There is a grey twist cap on the bottom of the headlight assembly by the signal light portion. Twist it counter-clockwise and pull it right out. You now have the turn signal socket in your hand.

7.) Push and twist the burnt bulb counter-clockwise, and you can pull it out

8.) Reverse the procedure above to install your new bulb and enjoy :)

Regards,

Bryan

When you notice a turn signal bulb flashing abnormally, most of the time it is the bulb that is burnt out. The bulb itself has 2 filaments, one for the parking light, and the other for the turn signal or emergency light operation. You can tell the bulb is burnt out when either one of the filaments has snapped. Bulb P/N should be 1157A for a 2000 ES300. Replacement bulbs can be found at Wal-mart or any auto parts store.

However, if the bulb appears to be OK, then the problem could be dirty contacts of the bulb. Use a good electrical contact cleaner (i.e. can be purchased from Radio Shack) to clean the contacts of the bulb, and see if that brings the electrical connection back into place.

Special case: For those who own a '97-'01 ES and have encountered the front turn signal lamp problem (either left or right), there is a TSB released for those models. I attached a copy of the TSB to this post (feel free to download). Please read the TSB carefully if you are thinking of using it at the dealership as this only applies to VIN-specific '97-'01 ES models.

• 4 weeks later...
What year is your ES? The '92-'96 models have one piece headlamp assy, and the '97-'01 models have the 2-piece kind. Both require slightly different removal methods for the bulbs.

I have a 1998 - do you know how to replace the front left turn signal? I have the bulb but don't know how to access the socket.

There is one philips head screw (small) holding the turn signal lens housing onto the headlight itself. Remove the screw, and apply a frontward force to the turn signal lens (push it towards the front of the car) and it will pop out, and you can access the bulb socket from there. - To replace - reverse the directions.

I definately recommend upgrading to factory Lexus HIDs - I was able to get all parts needed off of e-bay for under $325 - improved light output and dramatically increaded visibility.

I see that you live in CT - if you ever need any help with installs - let me know - I am often travelling back and forth between New Haven area and Northern NJ.

There is one philips head screw (small) holding the turn signal lens housing onto the headlight itself. Remove the screw, and apply a frontward force to the turn signal lens (push it towards the front of the car) and it will pop out, and you can access the bulb socket from there. - To replace - reverse the directions.

I definately recommend upgrading to factory Lexus HIDs - I was able to get all parts needed off of e-bay for under $325 - improved light output and dramatically increaded visibility.

I see that you live in CT - if you ever need any help with installs - let me know - I am often travelling back and forth between New Haven area and Northern NJ.

Thanks for that part but I need to back-up some. How do I get to the Phillips screw? Looking into that area from inside the engine I can't see any screws.

When you pop open the hood and look at the area up front , there is a plastic shroud. They are held in by fasteners that release by getting a flathead screwdriver and prying the top up slightly....you will then be able to remove the fastener. You will then be able to see the philips head screw under this plastic shroud.

After that, as 98oyster stated, you move the assembly towards the front. I found it very hard but the triick I used was to get a small plastic tie wrap type fastener and use that to slowly levereage and pull the assembly forward and then POP! It should come out.

Good luck

When you pop open the hood and look at the area up front , there is a plastic shroud. They are held in by fasteners that release by getting a flathead screwdriver and prying the top up slightly....you will then be able to remove the fastener. You will then be able to see the philips head screw under this plastic shroud.

After that, as 98oyster stated, you move the assembly towards the front. I found it very hard but the triick I used was to get a small plastic tie wrap type fastener and use that to slowly levereage and pull the assembly forward and then POP! It should come out.

Good luck

Sorry about that - forgot all about that stupid shroud - it's more of a pain than it's worth. I've had mine off so many times - the clips are worn out - time to get some new ones.

• 1 year later...

Thanks, everyone for your guidance on cleaning and/or replacing the front turn signal bulbs. In regards to the instructions, I have a sweat enhancement for those inclined...

"When you pop open the hood and look at the area up front , there is a plastic shroud. They are held in by fasteners that release by getting a flathead screwdriver and prying the top up slightly....you will then be able to remove the fastener. You will then be able to see the phillips head screw under this plastic shroud."

On my '97 ES300, once I went through the brain damage of removing the plastic fasteners, of which half broke off at the head and will require replacement, check this out:

1. Reallign the shroud over the holes used for the fasteners for reattachment.

2. Above the front left and right turn signal assemblies, make a mark with a grease pencil on the shroud directly above the hidden phillips head screw.

3. Using a 1/2 inch drill bit, with a block of wood under the shroud, drill a hole through your marks.

4. When you align the shroud over the mounting holes, the hidden phillips head screws that hold the turn signal assemblies in place are now accessible, without the need to remove the shroud in the future, should you have to replace another bulb. B)

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to fix my fast blinking flasher on my 1997 ES300 thanks to the instructions I found here. Thanks! I took some pictures and posted them here:

http://circuitcalculator.com/LexusFlasher.htm

Hopefully, the pictures will make it even more clear. I had to break one snap to learn how they work, so I put a picture of the snap and how to undo it.

• 1 year later...

Good luck

I just wanted to say that the information in this thread, about removing the plastic shroud to get to the turn signal housing, was very helpful and allowed me to make the bulb replacement without heading to the repair shop. The only thing that I'd like to add is to be very careful after you have removed the phillips screw. I could easily see the next small clip and manipulate it to push the lens forward and out. The housing I was working with was very brittle and cracked (white plastic). I think this is a result of a combination of age (it's a 1998) and extreme heat (the car has been in south Florida it's whole life). I plan on using a small amount of silicone caulk (fish tank glue) to seal the cracked area to prevent moisture from getting inside and messing with the bulb. Again, thanks for the very helpful info in this thread!

-gator

I gotta thank you gator for finding this thread, i posted a question about this very exact problem even searched for previous posts but this is perfect, i just have to figure out which bulb i need for my turn signal!

Kaos, I'm guessing that similar years take similar bulbs. My 1998 ES 300 took bulb "#1157A LL" for the front turn signal. The back turn signal is bulb "#7440" And for what it's worth, each set of bulbs was $1 less expensive at Autozone than at my local Pep boys.

-Gator

thanks gator, now the thing is today i attempted to change the bulb, i did the directions from the previous page, i removed the clips, then the 3 10mm screws that attaches the headlight to thte car, i then removed the harnesses for high and low beam and then the next step was to remove the headlight from the car, but it was still attached, and i beleive by a white lil screw or something that i cant access. I checked the other headlight and it had the same so i got stuck there

thanks gator, now the thing is today i attempted to change the bulb, i did the directions from the previous page, i removed the clips, then the 3 10mm screws that attaches the headlight to thte car, i then removed the harnesses for high and low beam and then the next step was to remove the headlight from the car, but it was still attached, and i beleive by a white lil screw or something that i cant access. I checked the other headlight and it had the same so i got stuck there

You probably just didn't pull hard enough to move the assembly. There is a pin in the back of the assembly which fits into a socket. I assume it serves an alignment purpose.

If the assembly has never been removed, there could be some corrosion in this area.

• 1 year later...
I was able to fix my fast blinking flasher on my 1997 ES300 thanks to the instructions I found here. Thanks! I took some pictures and posted them here:

Hopefully, the pictures will make it even more clear. I had to break one snap to learn how they work, so I put a picture of the snap and how to undo it.

Anyone have the pictures for this procedure? They seem to have been deleted.

Thanks,

-Computerguy

• 5 weeks later...

My 1998 ES300 has the fast turn signal blinking issue and I'm having a hard time removing the assembly (front right of car).

I have the black shroud off and I remove the one philips screw. Also, not knowing if it's necessary or not, I removed the two bolts - one near the philips screw and the other at the other end of the headlight assembly. But at this point, I'm stuck now. Poking and prying the turn signal assembly to slide it off forward ain't working and I'm afraid to force the issue and break something. Headlight assembly feels loose but it's definitely attached to the turn assembly which isn't budging much. Any advice? Am I missing undoing another connector before resorting to brute force? Assuming the assembly should slide off now, how do folks get it off? Where do you hold to slide the assembly forward?

Thanks for any help you can supply!

My 1998 ES300 has the fast turn signal blinking issue and I'm having a hard time removing the assembly (front right of car).

I have the black shroud off and I remove the one philips screw. Also, not knowing if it's necessary or not, I removed the two bolts - one near the philips screw and the other at the other end of the headlight assembly. But at this point, I'm stuck now. Poking and prying the turn signal assembly to slide it off forward ain't working and I'm afraid to force the issue and break something. Headlight assembly feels loose but it's definitely attached to the turn assembly which isn't budging much. Any advice? Am I missing undoing another connector before resorting to brute force? Assuming the assembly should slide off now, how do folks get it off? Where do you hold to slide the assembly forward?

Thanks for any help you can supply!

After more research and figuring out the one philips screw was all that was needed to be removed, I went and got a disposable plastic glove to give me some grip and just popped the assembly off forward like everyone mentioned previously.

• 2 years later...

Thanks a bunch!.. really appreciate the pics, makes it easy for a bonehead like myself to understand :)