Why Haggle, Use The Net.

I've noticed everyone talking about prices. In my opinion and just my opinion not so not to offend anyone, I always use carsdirect.com as a baseline for pricing cars. If a dealer can't beat or match that price then why should I go in and waste my time. In addition Kelly blue book is useful, and also dealers that offer web quotes. I've used this methology for 3 of my last 4 cars. 99 Mustang GT, new model, hot car left paying less than sticker (TTL+included), 2001 highlander hot car, first model year ($300 over supposed dealer invoice), and recently a 2004 RX330, first model year, popular vehicle received about $4K off equipped FWD, Mark Leving. Nav, Rear DVD, AF HID, etc, left dealer for about $45.5K. In my mind that was a fair price may not be the absolute best but I walked in said, that's the vehicle I want, this is what I can get it for can you beat it? In about 30minutes we were filling out paper work etc and enjoying all the free drinks the dealer offered. This was in California. Timing might also have factored into the equation, since ironically we bought all our vehicle near vehicle change over. Bottom line, research, research, research. I'd rather spend my time on the net then at the dealer.

Robert

the net is a very good place to shop for cars. i am an internet salesman so i love it. you just have to keep in mind that the price isn't everything. you have dealership reputation amongst other things.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my lexus from superior lexus and I would NOT go back! They charge you for everything! Their sales and business manager is difficult to work with. Getting info regarding invoice price, interest rates, etc were like pulling teeth! Alot of double talk. The only reason I bought my lexus from them is because they are the only dealer in town (MONOPOLY). I hope someday when I choose to upgrade to another lexus there will be another dealer in KC.

• 2 weeks later...

most dealers do charge for everything. thats how they stay in business. invoice price is not something that consumer needs to know./ delaers have a right to make a living. They are many services that can find cheaper deals, certain cars have very little demand on some cars but at the end of the year they sell 100% of the inventory. Deal with someone you trust and give him a chance to make a living and you weill get back alot more when you need something in service or down the road on the next car.

People who say "Give the dealer a chance to make a living" are living in denial or stupidity. Since most of the independent dealers are long gone, having been bought up by the giant mega-dealerships, you need to face the fact that there is no loyalty-no reward for buying from them.

When I go into the parts department of my only Lexus dealer here, I know I'll be taking it in the shorts. When I buy a single mini bulb for the visor light, I realize that it's not worth $6.50. But I can't find it anywhere else, so I buy it there. But I know it's probably a $1.50 item, and I don't like it. A Lexus dealership is a license to steal, and that's why they're so few and far between. Wake up.

Respect is earned. If you give it, you'll will receive it back. Now that might not be the case everywhere. But that is the way I treat people. One of my customers came in yesterday and wanted to buy some floormats. I sold them to him at my cost. Maybe some of you guys need to find a better salesman.

Yes, you might be able to give the semblance of "individual service" while working for Hendrick Auto. But can you really do anything other than "by the book?"

Let's see. I've counted 63 Hendrick dealerships in 8 states. And you think you're going to be better and different than the hundreds of the other guys holding the same position-for the same Mega-Dealer? With the same rote training? No way-

You know the drill-It's "Their way, or the Freeway".

But you do seem like a nice person. Just be careful not to get too caught up in the hype-Sometimes you're just another peddler salesman pitching leases and long term loans. It's not your fault. I'm sure you'd never let some get "over their head". Or "Upside down". Right?

Best of luck, rpwsrw.

I have worked for 4 dealership in my time and Hendrick Auto has been BY FAR the most customer oriented. I have sold cars from all over the region and they buy from me because of my friendliness and because I won't sell a car unless they are completely happy. If there is any doubt, I tell them to go think about it. I will sell the car eventually, just maybe not to them. Once again good luck with your automobile endeavors and maybe one day we can get together on a vehicle.

• 4 weeks later...

The Hendrick Lexus in Charlotte is not very good. I went there with my fiance on a Saturday to look at cars. We were considering an IS300 or a ES330. The salesperson asked us if we were buying today. We said we're not sure yet we haven't driven anything yet. He asked to come another time as he was to busy to help us! We then went down the street and bought a Volvo S60T. Hmmm does that sound like great service? He lost a commision check and they lost many referrals and ancelatory sales based on these actions. :chairshot:

Used car's are obviously different than dealing with new cars price wise. If it's a new car......try this out: Fax all your local area dealers & YOU give them YOUR bottom line price (but make it a few hundred less then the best deal you have gotton to that point). You will start a 'bidding' war & your phone will ring off the hook (all the dealers pay the same amount for their new cars, it's the ones who are willing to take a bit less to get the sale), even though the dealer is making 'minimum' profit it's still a delivery for them.......do it closer to the end of the month as well because of quota's ;) That's from personal experence. Used cars....well whole other story because unlike new cars, there is NO used cars that are the exact same. :) B)

:cheers:

you showed him by buying a volvo. whats" the saying cutting off your nose ....."

Why? the Volvo is an excellent car :rolleyes: there are other good cars than a Lexus. I am going to buy an LS soon and I will buy a used and never use them for service...as I stated their loss not mine since I tell everyone that story

there are other nice cars that compare with Lexus  Volvo isn't one of them.  Do some research on the their product.

I did and and the fact that you don't think so is your opinion and :censored: ignorance is not a virtue :chairshot: You work for Hendrick which absolutely the worst dealership I have ever seen(at least the one in Charlotte is). Maybe you need to some research.......

No seriously.  You're right and I'm wrong.

:censored:

Your a smart guy :rolleyes: Since your obviously an expert...and probably the top lot dog at Hendrick you have every right to say that....Since I am on the topic can you document one test that plots them head up? So an S60R does not match up well with an IS300..LOL since you are an expert explain your position or SHUT UP :censored:

thank you in advance

Before you cuss up a storm. Read my post. I am comparing Volvo as a company vs Lexus. The S60R, is a current reliable Volvo. Being based on a structure from 1998 it has all the kinks worked out of it. As I go back to my point. Volvo cannot compare with Lexus as a whole. Your welcome.

Well ok then..As an S60 owner.... I took offense and yes across the board they are not comparable. Volvo does not have as wide of a range of cars that lexus does, however in the class and price range I was buying in they are very comparable. :cheers:

• 5 months later...

Most car buyers make the mistake of buying based on emotion and ignorance.

Do your test drives when you are out of town on business. It is a great excuse to get out of some boring, useless meeting. "I've got to go test drive a $50-60,000 car". Your co-workers won't miss you; they will envy you because you have the money and the cajones to skip out of the meeting they are stuck with. Even the boss will be impressed. He'll probably offer you the promotion. He needs a person like you to manage the new office. He just didn't realize that you were that person.

Keep your local dealership fresh for the sale. Chose your specific vehicle by making 7-8AM forays to the dealer's lots to look at specific vehicles, copy the VIN and all the options from the Mulroney sheet. If you run into a salesman who has shown up for work early, tell him you're late for work. Make no other comment, run to your car and get the heck out of there anonamously.

Wait until the last day of the month, preferably on a weekday evening when it is cold and raining. Walk into the dealership about an hour before they close. Offer the salesman $200-300 over invoice including invoice price for any options on the vehicle, which you have researched in advance. Never buy the dealer prep, etc. It is already covered in the invoice price from the factory. Dealers love to charge you twice if they can. Insist that he take the offer to the sales manager, by name, which you have researched in advance (simple phone call).

Tell them they can sell you the vehicle that night before they go home or you walk. Never trade-in. Have your finance check in your folder and let them see it 'accidently' when you open it to show them the VIN of the car that you want. The car salesman will react in horror, anger, disgust, etc. Just smile and smile like he's your long lost brother and you are so happy to see him and help him out by taking that car off his inventory.

If the salesman refuses to take your offer to the main man, the only person who can approve the sale, say thank you and leave. Don't make any other statements. Just close your mouth, turn around and leave or you will leave them an opening they will use to get more of your money. Try again next month if you still want the vehicle. But make a call the next day to have a frank talk with the sales manager to be sure that he is informed that he lost a sure sale, even if was low profit. Make sure he is aware that you had your own financing, no trade-in, etc.

Because here is the real truth. Cars are commodities. Each new vehicle has a factory to dealer 'hold back' of 3% built into the invoice price. This is pure profit. A $50,000 invoice has $1500 of profit built in. Some dealers share this with the salesman. Many don't. That is really why the salesman gets so po'd. He knows the dealer will get his quick easy profit and he will get stiffed. But, all he is doing is acting as a conduit to present your offer to the dealer's sales manager. He hasn't invested any time with you in test drives, 'salesmanship' or 'personalized' service so why should he get more than a measley hundred bucks or so? Do you make $100-$200 bucks for 15 minutes of work? I sure don't.

The dealer will most likely accept your low ball, out of the blue, offer. He makes his quick profit, moves the car off the inventory in time to avoid another month's floor plan financing, gets another allocation or maybe even a factory bonus that the salesman isn't even aware of.

Always give the maxiimum scores and even write in really, really nice comments on all the post sales evaluations for the dealer, the salesman, the vehicle, etc. Max everything out; after all, they did give you a hell of a good deal didn't they? Make them look like the world's best dealership.

You won't make friends with the salesman. He won't be giving you any free floor mats. He won't sell them to you at invoice either. But who cares. I really don't want a long term relationship with the guy who sells me a car anyway. Nothing personal but all we have in common is a car sale. 'Personalized, long-term sales relationships' just opens you up to being profitized forever into the future.

BTW, when you bring the car in for service, if you happen to run into the salesman, always greet him like he is your best friend, compliment him in front of his co-workers, boss, customers, etc. He'll get over your low ball tactics. When you decide to buy another car, bring him your low ball offer plus an extra hundred for him. You'll get the car. He will learn to respect you for a knowlegeable car buyer that will be good for a quick sale with zero hand holding or time investment.

Good luck. It has worked for me, even on hot cars. It will work on a custom order too. You just have to stick to your guns. B)