Keys

luny2ni

I just bought a 99 Lexus RX 300. It came with the master key and the flat key for just opening the doors.

I thought I should get a second master key made just in case. But I called the dealership and they quoted me about $300 for a new one. :cries:

Is there anyway around this price or am I stuck with having to go to the dealership?

I also checked out EBAY and they have Lexus' keys on auction. How is it possible to buy there key and have it work on your car if it looks already pre-cut? :unsure:

I purchased an uncut key for my 99 RX on eBay some time ago. I think I paid around $75 for it. It came with programming instructions for the remote entry, but I had to find someone to cut it. I got lucky and there was someone in a near by town... but others have had a difficult time finding someone who can cut them. It cost me $25 to have it cut. So, my advice is to keep looking on ebay for an uncut key...or search this forum for the topic b/c someone posted a link to an online source you could purchase from sometime back. I don't remeber what the URL was though. Good luck!!

I sometimes get refurbished blank keys from www.streetkeys.com. Optionally, if you can get the Lexus part number, you can enter it at http://newlexusparts.com. I beleve their price was about $146 for a NEW key, plus any shipping and tax (no tax if outside Texas, I think).

I got a ket cut at Sewel Lexus in Dallas once, less than a year ago. They quoted a charge of $8.00, but didn't even bother to bill me. They have the fancy "Lexus" machine that cuts from a computerized program.

There are narratives on these forums that describe how to program a key, assuming you have at least one around to "copy" from.

I purchased an uncut key for my 99 RX on eBay some time ago. I think I paid around $75 for it. It came with programming instructions for the remote entry, but I had to find someone to cut it. I got lucky and there was someone in a near by town... but others have had a difficult time finding someone who can cut them. It cost me $25 to have it cut. So, my advice is to keep looking on ebay for an uncut key...or search this forum for the topic b/c someone posted a link to an online source you could purchase from sometime back. I don't remeber what the URL was though. Good luck!!

How does your key work now? Was it hard to program yourself?

My friend told me if I tried to do it myself I could mess it up real bad and have to have the dealership install a a whole new alarm computer key system that could cost thousands of dollars.

Well that scared the crap out of me. :(

• 2 weeks later...
How does your key work now? Was it hard to program yourself?

My friend told me if I tried to do it myself I could mess it up real bad and have to have the dealership install a a whole new alarm computer key system that could cost thousands of dollars.

Well that scared the crap out of me. :(

The programming is pretty easy.

I was worry at first, but I got mine right the first time.

If you read the instruction a few times before you do the programming, i don't see much place you can go wrong.

Previous post from this site also has instruction/trick on how to program an uncut key.

I just won a key on ebay today for $56.00. Not knowing at the time that I had won, I asked the service advisor today at the dealer about getting a key cut. She told me that for security reasons, no Lexus dealers cut keys. She said that you have to order them from their parts department and they're shipped to the dealer already cut (using info from the VIN). Is this a bunch of BS that she fed me? Should I try calling around to see if anyone here in my town will cut a key?