Window Tinting

chillinLS430

I have a 01 LS430. I want to get the windows tinted, but when I called the dealer he recommended someone but said that Lexus had warned of a few problems where the tinting on the rear window causes disturbance with the navigation system. Has anyone ever heard of this? ALSO, what type of tint do you recommend? I think a lighter tint on my champagne color would be good...Any thoughts? Also any good tint companies to go for like Llumar? Thanks.

INFO:

District of Columbia

Visor....................as1

Front doors..............70%

Rear doors.................Any

Back window.................Any

(a) Except as provided in subsection" b" of this section, no motor vehicle may

be operated or parked upon the public streets or spaces of the District of

Columbia with:

(1) A front windshield or front side windows that allow less than 70% light

transmittance; or

(2) A rear windshield or rear side windows that allow less than 50% light

transmittance.

(b'A motor vehicle may be operated or parked upon the public streets of the

District of Columbia with a front windshield that allows less than 70% light

transmittance above the AS-1 line, or within 5 inches from the top of the

windshield.

© Any person who operates or parks a motor vehicle in violation of

subsection (a) of this section shall be issued a $50 citation.

(d)(1) Except as provided by subsection (f) of this section, any motor vehicle

found to violate subsection (a) of this section shall be required to be

inspected at an official District Inspection Station within 5 business days

after the finding.

(2) If the motor vehicle is not brought into compliance with subsection (a)

of this section by the end of the 5-day period, the owner of the vehicle shall

be fined not more than $1,000.

(e)(1) Except as provided by subsection (f) of this section, any motor vehicle

found to violate subsection (a) of this section on a second or subsequent

occasion shall be required to be inspected at an official District Inspection

Station within 5 business days after the second or subsequent finding.

(2) If the motor vehicle is not brought into compliance with subsection (a)

of this section by the end of the 5-day period, the owner of the vehicle may

be fined not more than $5,000.

(f) Any police officer or other authorized government agent of the District

may order the immediate removal of a motor vehicle from the public streets to

an official District Inspection Station if the police officer or other

authorized government agent determines that the health and safety of the public

is at risk due to window tinting in violation of subsection (a) of this

section.

(g) No person shall install window tinting on a motor vehicle which is not

exempt pursuant to subsection (h) of this section, in the District of Columbia

which would cause the motor vehicle to violate subsection (a) of this section

if the vehicle were operated or parked on the public streets of the District of

Columbia.

(h) Limousines, ambulances, buses and hearses, meeting the requirements of 18

DCMR 413.10, church-owned vehicles, and all official government vehicles, shall

be exempt from the requirements of this section.

(i) Nothing in this subchapter shall be construed to modify or affect any

federal law concerning the window tinting of motor vehicles that is applicable

to manufacturers, importers, dealers, or motor vehicle repair businesses for

new or used motor vehicles and equipment.

Whenever used in ss. 316.2951-316.2957, unless the context otherwise requires, the following terms have the following meanings:

(1) "Motor vehicle" means any vehicle as defined in s. 316.003, except vehicles used in farm husbandry, which is registered or required to be registered in the state.

(2) "Multipurpose passenger vehicle" means a motor vehicle with motive power designed to carry 10 persons or fewer which is constructed either on a truck chassis or with special features for occasional off-road operation.

(3) "Reflectance" means the ratio of the amount of total light, expressed in a percentage, which is reflected outward by the product or material to the amount of total light falling on the product or material.

(4) "Sunscreening material" means a product or material, including film, glazing, and perforated sunscreening, which, when applied to the windshield or windows of a motor vehicle, reduces the effects of the sun with respect to light reflectance or transmittance.

(5) "Transmittance" means the ratio of the amount of total light, expressed in a percentage, which is allowed to pass through the product or material, including glazing, to the amount of total light falling on the product or material and the glazing.

(6) "Window" means any device designed for exterior viewing from a motor vehicle, except the windshield, any roof-mounted viewing device, and any viewing device having less than 150 square inches in area.

(7) "Windshield" means the front exterior viewing device of a motor vehicle.

I'm considering tint on my 01 LS430 also. So I'll piggy back with my questions:

1. How much should a tint job cost for that car?

2. Will the dealer do it?

3. Why would it impact the Nav system? Isn't the Nav antenna that funny black thing on the roof?

JPF

1) Expect $180+ for a good job. I'm getting my tint done(30%, I'm going to pick the color and all of that tomorrow when I drop it off) tomorrow for $190, but this guy is very professional and only works with lux cars, and I've seen his work, so I don't mind paying a little extra for a good job. Sure, you can find cheaper, but be sure to look over his work(and the make/model of the cars in there since rich people are usually very picky about who does what with their cars) and his work space(as it is usually indicative of the work he does).

2) Most dealers will do tint. Call your "service advisor" for all of the details! lol

3) I've got no clue about the nav!

:cheers:

I think it all should come down to what you want. The hell with everyone else. Do what makes you happy. After all, it's your car.

I've got a mystic gold with 5%(Limo) shade on all my rear windows. My state will not allow tint on front windows. Llumar is the most popular window tint around here. It does not interfere with my Nav system. Try to find a shop that keeps a portfolio for customers to look through. Make sure you get a warranty from the shop that installs it for you. The shop that put on my tint, gave me a warranty that covers as long as i own the vehicle. Be careful, i remember the dealer telling me there is another type of tint that eventually turns purple over time(yuk).

John

I'm considering tint on my 01 LS430 also. So I'll piggy back with my questions:

1. How much should a tint job cost for that car?

2. Will the dealer do it?

3. Why would it impact the Nav system? Isn't the Nav antenna that funny black thing on the roof?

JPF

If it contains metal, it will affect the Nav system.

GOLDPLATER, I'd be interested in talking to you. I have a 2001 LS430, same color, and I was contemplating either a chrome look or a gold plated look. I think the gold plated look is better, but I dont know how to get to the garage to see all the photos you have there. Could you send me some photos and also instructions on how you gold plate things. I'd be scared to take the nameplates off myself and send them to you unless it was really easy. Also, I was born and raised in NJ and make a lot of trips up there, so maybe it would be easier just to do it in person. Let me know. You can e-mail me directly. Thanks,

GOLDPLATER, I'd be interested in talking to you.  I have a 2001 LS430, same color, and I was contemplating either a chrome look or a gold plated look.  I think the gold plated look is better, but I dont know how to get to the garage to see all the photos you have there.  Could you send me some photos and also instructions on how you gold plate things.  I'd be scared to take the nameplates off myself and send them to you unless it was really easy.  Also, I was born and raised in NJ and make a lot of trips up there, so maybe it would be easier just to do it in person.  Let me know.  You can e-mail me directly.  Thanks,

I don't have any experience with exterior emblem removal so i can't speak on the integrity of the emblem adhesive for reinstallation back onto your vehicle. I would say the only alternative would be plating your existing items on the car or buying new emblems and having them plated. If you were contemplating doing this yourself, i would just say that you would have a much bigger upfront investment in buying all the equipment necessary to do the job yourself. than paying someone to do everything for you. I'll send you an email.

John

Hey JCCNITA,

Why would metal in the tinting affect the Nav?

Isn't the whole car mostly metal???

JPF

You are right. That's why the signal can be transfered via the windows. And then if you use the tint containing metal, it will affect the signal to be receievd unless you have connected the external antana.

• 4 weeks later...