Steering Wheel Rehupholstering

I had an upholestery shop re-do the driver's seat on my 1990 LS 400. When I asked about redoing the steering wheel, he declined saying he cannot do steering wheels nor does he knows who can.

A Google search only showed generic covers for sale.

Does anybody know where can I get my steering wheel done in the Los Angeles area? :(

I also used American Stitches(last summer); they reupholstered my ES's steering wheel to the tune of $300-pricey is right! Plus, the ES's wheel is smaller than my LS's KW sized wheel, so they might even charge a little more. The leather work was excellent, but I was a little disappointed with the color match. The new cover was much, brighter and vibrant than the old one that matched the rest of my interior.

When I got my LS and the steering wheel needed work like my ES, I decided to try something different. I found a wheel out of a wrecked LS that is in excellent condition for $100. Plus, I didn't have the week and a half of down time because I had to mail off my wheel to have it worked on.

Here you can see what I'm talking about with my ES:

steering_wheel.sized.jpg

And a very similar wheel for $100 in my LS:

DSC00375.sized.jpg

:cheers:

What do you use while your wheel is being worked on? I was thinking that they sent out a replacement... silly me, right?:-)

How long did it take them to do it?

And yes -- they are pricey especially if you get the wood added to it, my intention.

I used a wheel from a '97 ES that a friend from LOC(Jimi- 'speedracer959'....what a great guy!) gave to me. Of course the airbag didn't fit, so I just left it out. I had to have transportation...who can go a week and a half w/o a car?? Unfortunately, running the car without the air bag in will set the air bag malfunction light off which then costed me more $$$ to get the dealer to turn off. I think I have heard of AS loaning a wheels out. ;)

I can't remember completely since I had this done about a year and a half ago, but I think it took them about a week and a half or so to get my wheel recovered and shipped back to me. I kinda regret not getting them to do my LS's wheel with the wood inserts because that would have looked incredible! B)

:cheers:

Thanks...

In reality, that 1.5 weeks is not a long time, but it will sure seem like it with that light on and that empty space in the wheel.:lol:

I will look into it -- I want that wood in the wheel. I have to get that ABS and Trac light issue fixed first though -- Winter is coming.

What do you use while your wheel is being worked on? I was thinking that they sent out a replacement... silly me, right?:-)

How long did it take them to do it?

And yes -- they are pricey especially if you get the wood added to it, my intention.

Tha't why I was looking for somebody local. This is my everyday car. I cannot adfford to go someplace to get the steering wheel off, then ship it somewhere to be re-done, leave the car with whomever removed the wheel... etc.

Even if it's more money, I need to find a place I can take my car to, have the work done and drive it back home.