Gs430 Gas Mileage

Hello everyone - I'm new to the Owners Club, longtime Lexus owner just got a 2001 GS430. Used to have a 2000 GS400. I remember getting better gas mileage in the 2000 and on average am getting 17 around town...

I know this may be about average but with Gas prices so high (am my lead foot) I would LOVE to find a solution or additive to help boost fuel economy. Please let me know if anyone has had luck with any devices or fuel additives in their cars.

Thanks so much!

-MJM Daytona Beach, FL

• 1 year later...
Hello everyone - I'm new to the Owners Club, longtime Lexus owner just got a 2001 GS430.  Used to have a 2000 GS400.  I remember getting better gas mileage in the 2000 and on average am getting 17 around town...

I know this may be about average but with Gas prices so high (am my lead foot) I would LOVE to find a solution or additive to help boost fuel economy.  Please let me know if anyone has had luck with any devices or fuel additives in their cars.

Thanks so much!

-MJM Daytona Beach, FL

As for additives, I can tell you what I have done for all vehicles that I have owned in the last 10 years. First, I add Super Slick 50 to the oil the first time I do an oil change. After about 2-3K miles I change the oil and filter. From that point on I use a synthetic oil and a good filter, changing both every 3-4K miles. Mobile 1 is good but there are other synthetics.

Slick 50 and other oil additives cost about $20 and treat the engine for 50 – 100K miles by putting a Teflon coating on engine parts improving per-formance, fuel economy, and engine life. I put Super Slick 50 in a Dodge Dakota and after driving it 150K miles it still used no oil between changes! Synthetic oil reduces friction too, giving better performance/economy.

Recently I drove my GS400 from California to the Midwest and averaged from 24.8 to 27.2 MPG at 75-80 MPH even though much of this distance is mountainous. If you do a lot of highway driving cruise control also saves gas as well as money spent on speeding tickets .

A couple of other things to do to save gas that is getting more expensive:

 Coast more by letting up on the gas sooner

 Let the transmission shift up by leaving it in 'D' instead of '3' or '4'

in ‘Power’ mode.

 Check tire air pressure. You can safely add at least 3-4 lbs to the

manufacturer’s suggestion of 32 LBS. I’d keep it under 40 LBS.

There are other gas/oil additives that claim to boost performance/economy but I haven’t tried any.

Hello everyone - I'm new to the Owners Club, longtime Lexus owner just got a 2001 GS430.  Used to have a 2000 GS400.  I remember getting better gas mileage in the 2000 and on average am getting 17 around town...

I know this may be about average but with Gas prices so high (am my lead foot) I would LOVE to find a solution or additive to help boost fuel economy.  Please let me know if anyone has had luck with any devices or fuel additives in their cars.

Thanks so much!

-MJM Daytona Beach, FL

That's better than my car. I run under 210 miles on 1 tank. Which I think I may have a big problem, Because GS 400 and GS 430 have 19.8 gallons on a tank and should run 17 miles per gallon.