Power Steering Problem

Em91

<_< I'm having problems with my powersteering. I have a 91 ls400 and for some odd reason at any given moment it feels as if I have lost 90% of the power steering. This can last seconds or even minutes. It is very odd because once it comes back it is fine. Please give me ideas I jus find it odd that it is an intermittent problem. :chairshot:

My powersteering fluid is at the correct level so, I guess I have a powersteering pump that is failing intermittantely. I find it so weird that it is failing like this usually they just go bad but, hey I guess anything can happen.

My car does not leak any powersteering fluid. Level is always fine. I never have to add any fluid. What is the idle control valve. Is that the component that has the two vacuum line attached to it? Also, I cant seem to locate the solenoid on the rack. Is it behind the big bolt? Any pictures would be appreciated.

If you do clean the screen, the fluid may be so dirty that you'll need to flush, clean the solenoid again, and re-flush.

See if cleaning the solenoid screen works first, obviously. Wipe all the joints clean on the hoses and check for seepage. If it's better, do the above!

My car does not leak any powersteering fluid. Level is always fine. I never have to add any fluid. What is the idle control valve. Is that the component that has the two vacuum line attached to it? Also, I cant seem to locate the solenoid on the rack. Is it behind the big bolt? Any pictures would be appreciated.

EM91,

Do you feel you lost powersteering at a specific angel when you turn the handler? I had this problem & the dealer replaced the cross jucntion parts(2 parts), it solved the problem. Hopefully this helps.

Hey jccnita. what is the cross junction part that you are referring to. and where is it?

I'm sorry that I'm not a DIYer. If you have the same feeling when you are driving, it should be the same problem. It should be connected to the PS. I just saw the bad parts they replaced for me. One is about 3-4" long. The other one is about 5-6" long.

Also, I just did a direct translation for the parts they told me. Maybe it has a specific name. Someone in this forum should be able to know this.

Also make sure air is out of the system..........

Here's the procedure:

keep the PS reservoir cap on loosely - it didn't make a mess for me!

Also, I just kept my car UP on two jacks when turning lock to lock with car on idle. this makes it much easier to turn wheels, and doesn't grind your tires...

blee.pdf

<_< I'm having problems with my powersteering. I have a 91 ls400 and for some odd reason at any given moment it feels as if I have lost 90% of the power steering. This can last seconds or even minutes. It is very odd because once it comes back it is fine. Please give me ideas I jus find it odd that it is an intermittent problem.:chairshot:

EM91,

You could have some worn ball joints that "catch" or bind at certain times....sounds crazy, I know - but it's a possiblity.

CHeck out this symptons table:

pst.pdf

Thanks 99lsguy but my ball joints are all new. I put them all in myself. This is definetely a powersteering problem. The steering gets hard at any time. It even gets hard when you are just partked moving the wheel back and forth. It is really weird. It will get very hard and then it will be just fine. This can happen at any time.

Thanks 99lsguy but my ball joints are all new. I put them all in myself. This is definetely a powersteering problem. The steering gets hard at any time. It even gets hard when you are just partked moving the wheel back and forth. It is really weird. It will get very hard and then it will be just fine. This can happen at any time.

Got it........

The idle control valve (per Migirdech) is about $90 or so - if that's the problem.

migirdech. I dont have fluid disapearing. I just have the loss of powersteering. I never have to add fluid and it is always full. I dont have any leaks either. I am going to try and clean my solenoid on the weekend and we'll see what happens.

migirdech. I dont have fluid disapearing. I just have the loss of powersteering. I never have to add fluid and it is always full. I dont have any leaks either. I am going to try and clean my solenoid on the weekend and we'll see what happens.

I think that's a good idea!!

If it is really dirty and clogged, that's a good indicator of the culprit. It will also mean you need a serious PS flush ( several + quarts) to clean out the rest of the gunk that will (again) clog the screen in due time.

I suggest using Valvoline high mileage dex III for older vehicles...it has conditioners in it to help (although limited) old seals & gaskets.

Do not use a standard Power Steering Fluid - it must be Dex III (auto tranny fluid).

I have a 91' 400 and at 100k and 11 years of use my ps assembly died. Be sure to OEM Lexus, not a NAPA Reproduction of somesorts. Also, be sure to have the tech clean out all 3 screens, there is one screen that is harder to get to and is usually not seen in the diagram.