What Is Your Lexus Dealer's Shop Rate?

Hello everyone,

I have finally got fed up with my local mechanic because every time I get something fixed, two new problems arise. I am going to give my Lexus dealer a try to see how they compare (and hopefully they can get things done right the first time). I was surprised o find that the Lexus shop rate is only $91CAN ($68US) per hour. My independent charges $75CAN ($56US) per hour, so I always assumed that Lexus would charge a huge amount more. Plus, Lexus gives you a no-charge loaner car (I wonder what it will be?).

I got a loaner car from my independent mechanic, but that thing wasn't even safe to be on the road! It was a 1988 Ford Tempo with a speedometer and seatbelt that didn't function, it was dirty as ever, and had an anonymous car part sitting in the trunk. On top of that, I got the car with so little fuel that the fuel light was on, and the fuel door release didn't work so I had to use the pull string in the trunk. The car also stalled sometimes while idling.

I'm hoping that Lexus will give me something nicer :P Even if they gave me a Toyota Echo it would be a step up from the last loaner. Do you think Lexus would give me a Lexus loaner car, even though the car I am bringing in for service is a 1992?

Anyways, the original question, what rate does your local Lexus Dealership charge for service?

Thanks!

Bryan

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Lexus dealership charges $93 per hour for service/maintenance work. They've stepped up the rate from a year or two ago when it was $87-$89 per hour. No joke, this is one of the most expensive Lexus dealerships you'll find anywhere in this country (we're located in Fairfield County of Connecticut where taxes are high and house prices are thru the roof).

Toyota dealerships are not much better than Lexus; theirs is only about $85 per hour :blink:

I can't complain about the loaners from Lexus. So far I've received a '97 ES300, '01 ES300, '03 ES300 and a '04 RX330 :)

Ooo . . . I hope I get a nice loaner car like the ones you have got :)

I'll probably end up with a Toyota Corolla or something :( Oh well, it is only for a day. It would be fun to try out some of the newer model Lexuses though. I can't ask for much since my car is only a '92 and isn't worth very much anymore :(

So, you get charged $93US/hour for service?! That does seem a lot higher than the $68US/hour at my local Lexus dealer. Your dealer costs 37% more! Yikes :o

Regards,

Bryan

last time I was at my Lexus dealer for service the labor rate was $92 USD/hr.

Toyota dealers are much more plentiful in the area so they tend to be more competative in their labor rates. The best one around me is about $80 USD/hr.

steviej

Wow! 50 loaner cars!! You guys must be a really huge dealership!

Do you think that my Lexus dealer might give me a newer Lexus as a loaner vehicle, even though the Lexus I am having serviced is only a 1992? I hope so :P I would be like a nice test drive to see what I like for when I get ou of school in a couple of years :D

Regards,

Bryan

I'll probably end up with a Toyota Corolla or something

Hey, be happy if you get a Toyota Corolla. I live in New York city and most times I use my wifes car (2001 Toyota Corolla), to do errands around town. It's easier to park in the small spots, it's easier on gas mileage, and it runs like a little doll. I save my '03 ES for road trips and also to impress my snobby friends. hehe :D

Oh, I am not putting down the Corolla at all . . . they are excellent little cars. It's just that I don't live in a city, parking is free, and I am hoping to get something a little fun to make me feel better about spending money on service for my car :P

Corollas are totally economical, but they lack the "fun factor". I am hoping that they would give me a GS300 to try . . . that would be awesome! It is a car that I love but can't presently afford, but I will be looking at buying one in a couple of years.

In order of preference, here are the Lexus cars I would like as a loaner (not including SUVs in this lineup):

- SC (fat chance! Too expensive and sporty for a loaner!)

- GS (hmmm . . . maybe? If I pleaded? :P)

- LS (fat chance! Too expensive for a loaner!)

- ES

- IS

Regards,

Bryan

Haha!! :lol:

No, don't think I'll settle for a bicycle :P

I've got too far to travel in a day for that . . .

I'm hoping they give me a newer 97+ loaner just so that I can try something different. More realistically, if they are going to give me a Lexus, it will probably be like a '97 ES or something (which is cool too :) )

Regards,

Bryan

My local dealer (Lexus of Rockville) charge $99 per hour :(

Try to drop car off just for oil change for a first time and you'll see what you get as a loaner. My usually gives recent IS ;)

My local dealer (Lexus of Rockville) charge $99 per hour :(

Try to drop car off just for oil change for a first time and you'll see what you get as a loaner. My usually gives recent IS ;)

I'm hoping for an IS :) But I will probably end up with a Toyota because my car is so old (1992). Also, the dealer I am going to is a Toyota/Lexus dealer, which means they probably have a lot of Toyota loaners available. Oh well.

I would like the IS cause I am thinking about buying one in a couple of years, and it would be cool to try one out for a day B)

Regards,

Bryan

When I had my '96 ES back in the day, the dealership gave me a '01 ES loaner during my 90K appt. This took place probably around Dec 2001, and I didn't ask for a specific kind of loaner. It was a sweet loaner, and after the 2-3 days with loaner, I knew that was going to be my next Lexus (and it is!) :D

I'm sure the dealership may grant you a loaner of your choice if you ask for it early (meaning ~2 weeks in advance). Loaners come and go almost every day (i.e. for people waiting for oil changes, 30/60/90K appts, etc.), so to pick that special one out of the flock does not usually happen.

I would be embarassed to ask for a specific loaner at a Lexus dealership :blushing:

My car has rust on it, and has seen better days . . . it is probably only worth about $4500CAN because of the rust :( Thus, I don't think I am in the position to ask for a specific loaner car . . . I'm just going to wait and hope :P

Maybe they'll try and hook me up with a newer Lexus to try and impress a first-time customer :D

Regards,

Bryan

Don't be emberassed. When you spend as much as you do for maintenance, ask for a specific car. I always do.

It varies here. Like someone says Lexus of Rockville recently raised their rate to $99 making them the most expensive Lexus dealer in the country. Lexus of Silver Spring is still $89, and I find they do better work. Silver Spring doesnt have IS loaners though like Rockville, only ES and RX.

Well, the ES and the RX are worth more than the entry-level IS, so it is still pretty good :)

I just really want to try the IS because I have always liked it's styling. But, really, I would be ecstatic if I could drive ANY newer Lexus for a day :D If I get a newer Lexus for a day, I will almost be happy every time my car needs service :P

hehe

Regards,

Bryan

Well, I dropped off my car last night and picked up my loaner.

I got a friggen' 2004 ES330!! It is worth more than 10 times as much as my '92! It has tonnes of options of it too . . .

- Rain-sensing wipers

- 6-CD in-dash changer

- Wood and leather steering wheel

- Rear sunshade

- Variable suspension (Sport and Luxury)

- Adustable pedals

- Maybe others?

Basically, I think it has everything except the Navigation.

Wow! This is like a loaner car from heaven! What a smooth and quiet ride (except when you have the Mark Levinson stereo booming :P) The car is even in my favourite colour scheme . . . silver on black leather!

So far, the dealer has made a very good first impression by loaning me this car for free :D I couldn't be happier to cruise in this machine for a day :D

Now I still get to drive it back to the dealer from work (50 kms) so I am looking forward to that :) Does anyone have any special/cool features of the car that are worth trying out before I bring the car back?

Regards,

Bryan

The last two times I have taken my car to the dealership for service, they have basically refused to give me a loaner car. I usually get some lame excuse such as "We can do it while you wait" (their estimated 10-minute fix took them an hour) or "Our loaners are all reserved" (I was scheduling my appointment more than one week out). Even if I press the issue, they refuse. I don't want to make a big deal of it, so I haven't persued it.

Maybe it's because my car is old (it's a 2000). Maybe it's because they see a 23-year-old walk in and write me off. Who knows... I guess they think I have time to sit around reading old magazines and drinking their stale coffee. There is only one other dealership in Utah (one hour away) and unfortunately it is owned by the same person. I love my Lexus, and I've been seriously considering purchasing a new RX. I guess I'll just have to deal with poor service.