I Have To Get A New Car

On 7/25/04 Someone in a Dodge Ram hit the passenger side of my ES again. My car is at Darcars collision center getting about $5000.00 worth of work done on it. This is the second time this year someone has hit the car. Some people tell me I should get rid of it and buy a newer car. I love the ES but I have learned that the newer model has lost whatever sporty character the previous models had. Now I am unsure of what I want to do. Does anyone have any insight?

after having driven all three generations, i feel that the 1st gen, the one i have has the edge in handling over the other two. the 2nd generations are a bit heavier to the feel.

the new ones are better, they handle wonderfully actually, but the ride is so butter you dont realize how fast your actually turning, So turning too fast by mistake can totally happen making it feel like the car handles pooply, when infact at the proper speeds its perfect.

i inched down my ride and added the tokico's for even a bit more road feel. Now its not really butter, more like .... cream cheese: smooth but agile

I am just looking for a fun to drive factor in these cars. My last car was a 4 cylinder Honda Accord and that was very fun to drive. When I bought the Lexus I noticed I was in a different class of car. I think the 97 is very fun to drive. I have been doing some homework on the ES's, and basically all major automobile magazines say that the newer generation has lost it's fun to drive factor and focus' mainly on comfort and luxury.

Bear in mind though, I've never read a review of YOUR generation ES that calls it fun to drive. Most automotive editors believe the fun to drive factor ended after 1996. So regardless of what anyone says, you may find the current ES more fun to drive then they do. It is a good bit heavier and smoother feeling than your 97 though.

There's always aftermarket shocks ;)

I haven't ever driven one so I can't say from experience far as the 02+ goes, but I know I didn't like my aunt's 00 at ALL. It felt like it had less horsepower than my 93-I guarantee off the line my car would smoke it. It's like...tuned so much into being smooth that it won't even accelerate well IMO. I'd take my 93 over her 00 just about anyday. ;)

Oh yes, by all means they're amazing machines; much improved over the earlier years overall, but in terms of their ability to convince the mind that they have awesome straightline acceleration and just overall fun to drive, they fell back in performance while they moved forward in outward appearance and sportiness. I love the lines of the 2000-2001 probably the most of any ES300 to date but they just don't "perform" for the driver like the older ones.

I have a '92 5-Speed ES, and I wouldn't really give it high marks in the "fun-to-drive" category. I don't think the car was designed for steller sporty performance and huge accelation in mind. It is mainly about the comfort, and with that in mind, I think they succeeded quite well :D

Now, I wouldn't go so far as to say the ES is sluggish. It does have some pep. But if it is "sporty" you are after, then the GS may be more your vehicle.

Now, if you classify "fun to drive" as a smooth, quiet, rattle-free experience, then the ES is really really fun! B)

Regards,

Bryan