2001 Lexus Is300

jackhop

i recently bought a 2001 lexus is300 back in march. it had 41,000 miles on it and now has over 47,000. so, it's about to be out of warranty. well, i love the car, but it's making me crazy b/c the steering wheel seems to like to vibrate quite a bit when i brake anywhere between 40-60 miles an hour. but, when i drive around 80, and brake, it's really smooth and does not vibrate at all. i went to the tire store to get them balanced and it pretty much fixed the vibration i was getting when i was driving and not braking. also, when i brake, the tires seem to wobble a little before i come to a stop. what can i do to fix this? alignment, new tires, a steering rack, or what?

also, about my car, sometimes when i brake, especially when i get in the car and the first time i do brake, i hear a clicking noise. what could that be? that and on the mounts of my cd changer, especially when it's hot and i hit a bump, or i push against the mounts, it clicks...sometimes it doesnt do it at all, but other times, it's very annoying and i can hear it over the music im playing at the moment. what could that be? thanks again.

Could be at a higher rotational speed, the imperfections on the rotors don't show up. I'm not an expert, but the same thing happens with tire balance. There's always a speed that's ok and a speed where you get shake. Since the tires have been checked out and since this happens when you apply the brakes, it's the logical check to do.

The clicking on first applying the brakes, especially in reverse, is normal. I has to do with what some call "floating calipers". Also, I believe the ABS system self tests during the first brake applicatioin after startup. This also makes some clicking noises.

Don' know about the CD changer, but that almost sounds like a loose wire or speaker connection. If you can, pull the changer head unit out and check the electrical plugs on the back.

• 2 months later...
Hi all, I have also noticed the same problem on my 2001 IS, namely steering wheel vibrates when I brake at certain speeds.  Does anyone know if brake rotors are covered by factory warranty??

It depends on the dealership and the cause of the problem.

Case in point: The 2002-2003 ES 300 had a rotor/brake pad material mismatch when they first came out. There was a TSB that replaced the pads and rotors with new ones of a different material combination. This was covered by Lexus. 12,000 miles after that TSB work but still under the 4yr/50k mile warranty, the steering started to vibrate again upon application of the brakes on my ES. It was the same sort of buck and vibrate as noticed before the TSB work. The service writer tried to tell me it was the way I braked and he said that rotors and pads are usually not covered under the warranty because they are expected wear items. I pointed out that it didn't make sense that the TSB replacements started vibrating quicker than what they replaced. The service writer was willing to resurface all my rotors and write the labor time off to the orginal warranty.

I guess what I am saying is ask your dealership. If they won't replace them under warranty, see if they will resurface them under warranty (assuming the rotor will remain within specs after the resurfacing.).

steviej

Hi all, I have also noticed the same problem on my 2001 IS, namely steering wheel vibrates when I brake at certain speeds.  Does anyone know if brake rotors are covered by factory warranty??

It depends on the dealership and the cause of the problem.

Case in point: The 2002-2003 ES 300 had a rotor/brake pad material mismatch when they first came out. There was a TSB that replaced the pads and rotors with new ones of a different material combination. This was covered by Lexus. 12,000 miles after that TSB work but still under the 4yr/50k mile warranty, the steering started to vibrate again upon application of the brakes on my ES. It was the same sort of buck and vibrate as noticed before the TSB work. The service writer tried to tell me it was the way I braked and he said that rotors and pads are usually not covered under the warranty because they are expected wear items. I pointed out that it didn't make sense that the TSB replacements started vibrating quicker than what they replaced. The service writer was willing to resurface all my rotors and write the labor time off to the orginal warranty.

I guess what I am saying is ask your dealership. If they won't replace them under warranty, see if they will resurface them under warranty (assuming the rotor will remain within specs after the resurfacing.).

steviej

You will also get much more feedback with the low profile 17" tires. Not saying this is normal at all but expect more "feedback".

I have 18"s and 16"s on my ES (6 months each size). I agree with you and do get more feedback from the road with my 18"s when driving.

However, regardless of the tire/wheel size, there is absolutely no vibration in the steering wheel with either when braking. This is not confused with road feedback.

steviej

• 4 weeks later...
i recently bought a 2001 lexus is300 back in march.  it had 41,000 miles on it and now has over 47,000.  so, it's about to be out of warranty.  well, i love the car, but it's making me crazy b/c the steering wheel seems to like to vibrate quite a bit when i brake anywhere between 40-60 miles an hour.  but, when i drive around 80, and brake, it's really smooth and does not vibrate at all.  i went to the tire store to get them balanced and it pretty much fixed the vibration i was getting when i was driving and not braking.  also, when i brake, the tires seem to wobble a little before i come to a stop.  what can i do to fix this?  alignment, new tires, a steering rack, or what?