Detailing-lite

First, my admiration goes out to all of you that take great amounts of time and care into keeping your vehicles clean, using materials with exotic sounding acronyms like PwC, EX, #20, and XYZPDQ. I wish I had your energy and enthusiasm for it.

But the truth is, with a wife and 2 small children, and a 60+ hour work week, and 38 other higher priorities, my car's appearance suffers at times. Most times, in fact. I don't know my carnuba from my chamois, so I'll need things explained in layterms. You're all going to cringe at this, so brace yourselves. But if I've got 2 hours every 90 days to wash and wax the exterior of my car, running it through touchless car washes in between as needed, what kind of procedure would you recommend for those precious 2 hours?

And, no, responses like "sell your Lexus" are not acceptable. If it's any consolation, I do keep my car mechanically tight (priority #6, after #5 pay mortgage, before #7 keep children from flushing toys down toilets).

Thanks in advance.

no one is gonna stone you in this club for asking a question :)

if i had just 2 hours i would hand wash, dry, and then probably use just a good one step product like meguiar's NXT wax, it has abilities to hide scratches and swirls, as well as a pretty descent protective quality.

if you can slide a clay bar application into that time, i would strongly reccomend that procedure as well. and it doesnt' have to be done on a regular basis either.

:cheers:

I use a liquid wax sold in 32oz containers from a company locally called Production Car Care Products (Stockton, CA) off of Sanguinetti Lane, they are contracted by almost all used car dealerships around the area and my opinion is that its the best wax i've ever used. With their wax, the finished product is much better, lasts longer, and you only have to WIPE off the wax after applying. No need for a buffer, or digging in real hard (breaking a sweat)like when using pasty substances like Turtle Wax or Meguiars. If all my cars are already washed, i can wax all three cars in less than 2 hours and look good as new for WEEKS.

Try an internet search, they might ship.

I use a liquid wax sold in 32oz containers from a company locally called Production Car Care Products (Stockton, CA) off of Sanguinetti Lane, they are contracted by almost all used car dealerships around the area and my opinion is that its the best wax i've ever used. With their wax, the finished product is much better, lasts longer, and you only have to WIPE off the wax after applying. No need for a buffer, or digging in real hard (breaking a sweat)like when using pasty substances like Turtle Wax or Meguiars. If all my cars are already washed, i can wax all three cars in less than 2 hours and look good as new for WEEKS.

what is the product called?

there are an abundance of liquid waxes out there now, i've haven't bothered with paste wax in probably 6 years they are dated for sure......liquid is so much easier and a heck of lot less time consuming

meguair's nxt and high tech yellow are examples of liquid wax, apply and wipe or buff off, that simple, no buffer required.

• 11 months later...

You should check out a product called 5 star shine. Guaranteed to last 5 years on new paint, 3 years on used cars' paint. Beads water for 150 washes. And they claim soap isn't needed to wash the car for years after this stuff is applied, supposedly everything slides off like a stick-free pan. Used on US Navy ships to protect against salt and exhaust. It better be good for $100 for one application. I found it on ebay for about $50, so I'm going to give it a try.

First, my admiration goes out to all of you that take great amounts of time and care into keeping your vehicles clean, using materials with exotic sounding acronyms like PwC, EX, #20, and XYZPDQ.  I wish I had your energy and enthusiasm for it.

But the truth is, with a wife and 2 small children, and a 60+ hour work week, and 38 other higher priorities, my car's appearance suffers at times.  Most times, in fact.  I don't know my carnuba from my chamois, so I'll need things explained in layterms.  You're all going to cringe at this, so brace yourselves.  But if I've got 2 hours every 90 days to wash and wax the exterior of my car, running it through touchless car washes in between as needed, what kind of procedure would you recommend for those precious 2 hours? 

And, no, responses like "sell your Lexus" are not acceptable.  If it's any consolation, I do keep my car mechanically tight (priority #6, after #5 pay mortgage, before #7 keep children from flushing toys down toilets). 

Thanks in advance.

Ask any chemist who is familiar with car care products and they will tell you that there is NO product that can bond firm enough with paint to give protection for 5 years. 6 months is about the best you can expect from ANYTHING.

I know people who have used it and while its an okay product their experiences with durability are not stellar. That company is just betting that most people don't know when a wax is gone.

Ask any chemist who is familiar with car care products and they will tell you that there is NO product that can bond firm enough with paint to give protection for 5 years. 6 months is about the best you can expect from ANYTHING.

I know people who have used it and while its an okay product their experiences with durability are not stellar. That company is just betting that most people don't know when a wax is gone.

:D My subject....

I CAN'T believe there is something that can bond firmly enough to paint that will protect it for 5 years. In rain alone there are acids, the snow and ice will do a number on it, and SUN!! HEAT!!!

I've heard of waxes that say they can last a year, but 5 years? I don't think it's possible.

..It's like taking medication that lasts 24 hours..I'll give you a little suggestion: Take 2, 12 hour ones ;) the amount of drug in your system will decrease as the hours go by, depending on what foods you eat etc....well back to the point....

No i don't think it's possible for something to be "as affective" over 5 years of time, outside with the natural elements.

the nxt is really good after you wax then use the booster sray after you wassh the car and you wont regret it you car will shine real good im about to go wash the crap off my car and use the booster spray now

I'm really not trying to be a smarta** here, but you might consider hiring a professional detailer every 6 months (or even once per year) to polish the car and give it a thorough detail.

I love detailing my cars. It is therapy for me. It is how I choose to spend "my" time. But, I sometimes get caught in a really intense project in my career where I simply cannot spend the time to keep my cars up. That is when I outsource it, so that I can keep the car in good condition for later (when life's other priorities are less pressing). The pros aren't outrageously expensive. A couple hundred.

So, the above suggestion of a one-step product such as NXT makes a lot of sense to maintain the car's look between pro treatment. Deciding between how much you do and whether to enlist a pro depends on your priorities in terms of time and the relative difference between the current condition of your car and the condition you desire it to be.

If choosing a pro, references should help. Also, don't fall for your dealership's detail jobs. This is one area in which a good independent professional is heads and shoulders above most dealerships.

As many of us know, it sure is easier to keep a car clean than it is to get it clean. I can wash and wax my cars in 2 hours but that is only because I sepnt 10-15 hours at one point to prep it. So you only have a little time? do it in stages. Do the roof and sides pillars one week, maybe the hood and trunk the next, the sides go quicker unless you are tarheeled up (just a little joke there). I do several steps. Wash, clay, cleaner, wax. After it is done I can just wash and add a quick coat of wax. I usually wax once every 6 months because if youl et it go too long, you are back to square one. Maybe wait a month though, that Carolina sun is pretty hot this time of year. We were in the outer banks a couple weeks ago.

• 1 year later...

I recenty bought Turtle Wax, ICE and it works wonders, it applies easy, can be used even on wheels and leaves a great shine in minutes compared when you use other products that can use more of your time. Second you can apply it in direct sunlinght, I did with no problems. Nio white residue and super easy to remove, well when you apply it you might think you do not need to remove it because it looks like you just put a wet blanket over the paint. I search for price because the thing is a little expensive and Autozone has it the cheapest. But that is just another product they are many others just as good. I just felt to share how easy was to use, just like they claimed in the commercials and testimonials. It is a product that does what it says it will do.

C. PR

First, my admiration goes out to all of you that take great amounts of time and care into keeping your vehicles clean, using materials with exotic sounding acronyms like PwC, EX, #20, and XYZPDQ. I wish I had your energy and enthusiasm for it.

But the truth is, with a wife and 2 small children, and a 60+ hour work week, and 38 other higher priorities, my car's appearance suffers at times. Most times, in fact. I don't know my carnuba from my chamois, so I'll need things explained in layterms. You're all going to cringe at this, so brace yourselves. But if I've got 2 hours every 90 days to wash and wax the exterior of my car, running it through touchless car washes in between as needed, what kind of procedure would you recommend for those precious 2 hours?

And, no, responses like "sell your Lexus" are not acceptable. If it's any consolation, I do keep my car mechanically tight (priority #6, after #5 pay mortgage, before #7 keep children from flushing toys down toilets).

Thanks in advance.