Brakes

Travieso~13

Major upset homies!!!!

I was goin about 80mph on the Freeway, i hit the brakes an the car started shaking the steering wheel did also, brakes screech as well. Would that be the brakes worn out or the bushings on the front suspension need to be replaced or any other parts, cause i also get some noises whe i pass bumps or while i brake and turn at the same time as im coming to a stop like when i park. Also when i go up the drive way i here sum clumps, front end or shocks.

Thanks for the help big homies!!!!

From my experience, brakes screech because the brake pads are worn out. Either sensor is producing this sound, or worse case, it's the metal against metal case (rotor vs brake pad housing). Vibration at high speed breaking, definately caused by rotor warping. If the rotor is still thick, i think most ppl would resurface them. Most likely, you can't... on expensive car (at least not on Audi). Rotor prolly would be $60-80 (that's what I bought for my Audi, after market price).

Btw, shocks can be expensive cos I heard those LS400 are using the air suspension. Nice ride, but you cry when they break :cries:

Thanks for your help man, would you recommend putting cross drilled/slotted disc brakes, i think those would work better avoiding them to heat up as much. Also, i know them shocks can be expensive, a buddy of mine works @ PepBoyz, u recommend any brand from there, also another buddy works for another auto parts store, should i go wiht after market or maybe performance.(i was thinking tokicko shocks and eibach springs but not sure on what type of brakes.)

Thanks!

If you have "clunking" when you hit bumps, it is probably front end bushings. It is a very common problem on these cars and is something I have now on my 90 LS. I would also recommend new rotors or have these resurfaced if the steering wheel shakes when you apply the brakes. Also, new pads required.

My brakes are providing a "roughness" to the brake pedal, but no steering shakes yet. I think I just need new pads, despite the ones on there have only on there for 11000 miles.

For best ride- get the OEM struts from Toyota/Lexus. For the 90-94s (non-air suspension models) they are $52 (each) for rear and $49 (each) for front- or at least at my local dealer they are.

Previous owner had installed KYB GR-2's on my car just before I bought it. Ride was too rough, so I had Toyota struts installed and am selling the GR-2s. They (OEM Toyota struts) are made by KYB too, but much more softer, but not so soft that the car wallows.

Good luck.

Sorry I'm not too familiar with shocks... so I can't give u too much advice on it.

On the rotor, cross drilled/slotted disc means more wear on ur brake pad. It's purpose is only to release heat from disc faster. But you're not gonna race with the LS400 aren't u? :blink:

So why spend extra money for them? Best bet, buy from manufacturer of Lexus original brake pad/rotor. U have to ask around for that... I'm new to Lexus too, just 2 days old! :rolleyes:

Hey thanks a lot for them tips homies!!

90LS400Lexus~~ would those struts you have fit my '92 Ls400, if so how much you want for them, and would you ship?? Also i suppose my car does not have the air suspension since i hear no compressors when i turn the car on, my home has a 91 Towncar and i know he has air-suspension. Thanks alot for the help from all of you.

Thanks a lot for the help!!!

• 1 month later...

I've had a summer-long hiatus from the boards, but now I'm back with some questions for you guys. I've been having some similar problems as Travieso. In the spring, I put new drilled (no slots) Brembo rotors and brake pads on my LS. They screeched immediately and I suspected the people that put them on hadn't lubricated them properly, but they are still squeaking, more than 4 months later. In addition to that, I have noticed that recently, the car shudders when I am braking at high speeds. I drive mostly in the city, and it's not too noticeable, but when I get on the highway and step on the brakes, I can feel a pretty heavy shudder throughout the entire car, pedal, shifter, and steering wheel. My brakes, however, do not squeak anymore unless I am braking at a slow speed, like pulling up to a red light. Axecheerful mentioned the sensors as a potential cause of squeaking. I do know that when I had the brakes put on, the guys probably didn't know about the sensors (I didn't at that point), and I didn't replace any of them and they were potentially damaged in the process. At $90 each, I decided to just drive with the dash warning light on until I can afford to replace them all, but could they be causing the screeching. My other question is whether the shuddering I am getting is due to worn bushings, because someone mentioned those as a possible culprit for the vibrations. If so, which bushings should I look into, lower or upper control arm bushings, both, or something else? My handling and ride quality have definitely been on the decline, but how can I tell if I need new struts, new bushings, or all of the above? Do I need to wait till I can get to a lift to put my car in the air?