Lx470 Navigation System Demons

gglx470

2004 LX470 - My new LX470 is having navigation systems issues already. When I first got the LX, the bluetooth would sometimes remain muted after a call and the only way to get the radio going again was to restart the truck. Lexus replaced the bluetooth amplifier and this seemed to solve the problem.

Now, the issue I am having is much more serious. The navigation screen will display an ominous "check the system" message and all of the buttons / systems surrounding the navigation screen fail to function. Sometimes the screen will go completely blank. Other times, an "audio system off" message will be displayed even though the radio is on. I have also received messages (not exact) like "the external device is not connected" or "the air conditioning system is not connected." Sometimes, out of nowhere, the radio will turn itself off, the antenna will retract, and then the systems seem to return to normal. Lexus has ordered a new navigation screen and plans to install it today, but it seems to be a logic problem, not a video problem.

Has anyone seen this issue? I don't like the idea of having tempormental demons in my $65K car...

Any help would be much appreciated.

i have an older model lx but my friend has a gx which has a similar problem but they believe its because of attempting to get dvds to play while driving. screen goes blank, turns on and off by itself, and shows various error messages. not fixed yet. sorry i will try to call him he lives in florida

• 5 months later...
i have an older model lx but my friend has a gx which has a similar problem but they believe its because of attempting to get dvds to play while driving. screen goes blank, turns on and off by itself, and shows various error messages. not fixed yet. sorry i will try to call him he lives in florida

GGLX470,

I am new to this forum and am still trying to figure out how to post reply...

I have the EXACT same problem you described with my 2004 LX470. Problem just began yesterday.

What was done to correct the problem? Specifics would be great if you remember - part#'s replaced, etc...I will take this information into my Lexus dealer.

Thanks.

P.S. I will see if there is a way for me to email you directly. if not, I hope you read this posting.

GM

• 4 weeks later...

Wow. my experience is EXACTLY the same.

My bluetooth would kill the audio and the dealer said they would order the replacement amp. they never called me though and I've been too busy to take it back up with them. (plus the call quality with the bt was terrible so I wasn't using it anyway...fwiw one of partners has the 2005 range rover with the same system and his is much better.).

So then...about three weeks ago, the nav started flipping out exactly like yours. Again I've been too busy to take it in, but probably will get to it next week because unlike the bt issue, this one is a MAJOR annoyance.

It strikes me as a little wierd that here are three different 2004 LXs with the same problem that started at the same time.

Anyone find out what the deal is with this?

Also...did anyone else get the 'Our nav map disk has errors so come in for a free nav update' letter from lexus like I did? Think there's a connection?

(I'm making the sane assumption that this has nothing to do with that lexus bluetooth virus report that came out a couple weeks ago.)

Anyone got the answer?

Thanks.

Airbish

2004 LX470 - My new LX470 is having navigation systems issues already.  When I first got the LX, the bluetooth would sometimes remain muted after a call and the only way to get the radio going again was to restart the truck.  Lexus replaced the bluetooth amplifier and this seemed to solve the problem.

Now, the issue I am having is much more serious.  The navigation screen will display an ominous "check the system" message and all of the buttons / systems surrounding the navigation screen fail to function.  Sometimes the screen will go completely blank.  Other times, an "audio system off" message will be displayed even though the radio is on.  I have also received messages (not exact) like "the external device is not connected" or "the air conditioning system is not connected."  Sometimes, out of nowhere, the radio will turn itself off, the antenna will retract, and then the systems seem to return to normal.  Lexus has ordered a new navigation screen and plans to install it today, but it seems to be a logic problem, not a video problem.

Has anyone seen this issue?  I don't like the idea of having tempormental demons in my $65K car...

Any help would be much appreciated.

I had this exact same problem and it was fixed by the dealer. I believe they replaced the whole navigation system that everything plugs into. I think this also includes the screen. After it was replaced...no more problems.

As far as bluetooth goes I was having the same issues as well. I have not used the bluetooth stuff enough after the navigaton was fixed to know if the issues are still occuring.

• 3 years later...
  • 5 years later...

Am in Canada. Have a GS450h which started to have Navigation system problems intermittently approx. 16 months ago. Mileage approx. 110,000 km. Now has stopped working completely and message is "external system is not connected" Dealer wants $7,000.00 plus labour. Lexus Canada may or may not help with this. All of the buttons on the right side of the console display the same message when pressed. Left buttons work fine.

Anyone else have this specific problem.

• 4 months later...