Used '95 Sc300 Advice

I found a good deal on a '95 SC300. It has a clean car fax report with with 139,000 im a little worried about what I might be getting myself into. Im looking for some advice on what I should get checked out on a car this age. I plan on taking it to the Lexus dealership here in town and getting it looked at before I buy it. What do I need to know? Is it easy for them to check out the timing belt? ( I know on front wheel drive cars its expensive because they have to take the thing apart ) Im basically just looking for your opinions on what you would do if you were in my shoes.

Thanks a lot

Meddle,

Same deal with buying used vehicles as mentioned before. The timing belt has a cover on it and the serpentine belt will need to be removed to get at it. As well as the cooling fan and fan shroud. These belt items are usually changed at the same time. I'm away from my manuals at the moment but I'll get some diagrams here in a couple days. The belts should have been changed at 120,000 as well as a major tune up done. If the seller does not answer this question affirmatively then offer at least $600 less from asking price because this is the cheapest estimate I've seen from a Lexus dealership for this job. If the serpentine belt (the visible belt driving the accessories) looks good (nice black color not dried out looking with cracks), and the seller says that the job has been done - it is safe to say that you will be good for another 60,000. Otherwise, have a major tune up done. I always change all fluids immediately upon purchase of a vehicle. Change the air filter if it is the stock intake, ask if the vehicle has passed emissions if you live in an emission check area. If no successful pass, lower the offer another 300$ minimum for O2 sensor replacement and intake cleaning. Make sure only premium gas was used in the car and only use high octane gas in your new SC. Check the power steering pump and lines for leaks. That is the issue I'm dealing with now. Although it is not a major issue.

I found a good deal on a '95 SC300. It has a clean car fax report with with 139,000 im a little worried about what I might be getting myself into. Im looking for some advice on what I should get checked out on a car this age. I plan on taking it to the Lexus dealership here in town and getting it looked at before I buy it. What do I need to know? Is it easy for them to check out the timing belt? ( I know on front wheel drive cars its expensive because they have to take the thing apart ) Im basically just looking for your opinions on what you would do if you were in my shoes.

Thanks a lot

AWJ has some great points. Here is one more. If the vehicle has had normal service at a dealer, take the VIN number to a local Lexus dealer and ask them to look up the number for service record. i for one would never rely on a carfax report. I got stung with a pile of junk. i was giving my sister a car for here birthday and i had a carfax report. Bought the car based on that information. The following week the car fell a part. Bottom line do some checking on you vehicle before purchase.. Good luck.