Removing Tree Sap?

After two week's vacation in Northern Michigan, I now have several "globs" of tree sap on my RX300. I tried a commercial bug & tar remover, but that did no good!

I'm thinking lacquer thinner may work, but I would use it only as a last resort.

Anybody have a suggestion?

Brian

I wouldn't go lacquer thinner yet! You may lose your clear coat.

Bug and tar remover didn't work....would have thought that would.

I recently heard that an old trick is to use mayonnaise. I have not tired it, but someone posted that.

Have you tried soap and hot hot water?

I would start weak....goo gone or isopropyl alcohol first before bringing out the big guns.

steviej

There is a product called "Goof Off" available at Hone Depot, Lowes, etc. that will take it off for sure. However, it will also take off the wax, so you will need t rewax that spot. I have also used fingernail polish remover with great results...but again, you will have rewax the spot.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions, but I had to resort to lacquer thinner. I think the sap was from pine or cedar trees, and not water soluable. Lacquer thinner did the job and did not effect the finish. I did wax the entire car with Meguair's NXT and found it fast & easy!

I've never tried this, but I was told peanut butter works well. I'm guessing creamy would work better as chunky might scratch. Anyway for whatever it's worth. I just came back from the Cascade Mountains and also had some fir tree sap deposits on my LX. I used automobile bug and tar remover and it worked great. It did take about 3 applications though. It didn't come off on the first pass but each time it dissolved a little more and now there is no indication of any sap. I think part of the trick is getting to it as soon as possible. My wifes van got some of the stuff on it and I was a little slower in trying to get it off (like several months). Even the bug and tar remover couldn't make a dent into it. Needless to say, she wasn't too happy :angry: that I waited so long to get it off. However, when I bought her a new van, the sap issue was a forgotten problem :rolleyes:

Use a car was called Nu Finish. Put a glob on each sap spot for a minute or so. It dissolves the sap and you also are waxing at the same time. Rub gently using a touch of nu finish each time and the sap will be gone. Works on old and new sap. I have been using this for years. Goo Gone is great too but why not do the job once rather than having to wax afterwards?

If it is sap from a pine or other conifer, you could try natural turpentine. It is extracted (distilled) from the natural turpene compounds that are found in the sap of many conifer species, especially pine. In addition to being used commercially as a paint thinner it works on sap without harming your clearcoat. You may have to re-wax the spot.