Top Speed Question

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the fastest i have gone is 110 up hill in my sc4. not too many long stretches and a lot of cops in hawaii that just try to catch speeders so im too scared to get caught. i only speed where i can see that there arent any cops.

did 90 on my LS and after going 90 i found the "LOW" mode :D handles better than my sc at those speeds

Well ,I had a loaded cooler , a dog and the wife [ she was sleeping , so was the dog ] and a trunk full of clothes and other goods for vacation . Smooth lex never woke either of them !!! :D :D :D

125 in my 93 ES alone on the highway. I felt like an idiot passing by so many people so I decided to stop. Didn't feel like she had much more in her anyway, maybe if I rolled the windows up and turned the A/C and system off...125's enough for me though. I've been 128 before but that was on shot tires...STUPID :blushing:

• 1 month later...

I can verify that the 146MPH posted top speed of a 5-speed SC300 is accurate(red line reached in top gear with W58) and easily reachable on I-10 between Tucson and Phoenix.

Plenty of power left, runs out of rpm. Need a 6-speed I guess.

Note: Float at this speed is noticable (no spoiler) but manageable, but I don't think theres more than another 30-40MPH left before handling becomes too unreliable for public roads. Track speeds above this should be no problem.

11 pm, 6 lane highway, no cars around for several km. Got the SC400 up to 230 km/h (140 mph or so), I once had my MR2 Supercharged up to 240 km/h (redline in 5th) on a COLD canadian november night but it took a good 10 km to get going that fast.

The SC400 took about 2-3km so it may have eventually gone faster than the MR2 but I'm getting older and not as brave/stupid.

Aaron :chairshot:

ive done 156 in my sc300 on 9a down a steep bridge i think i could have gotten to 160 if i was lucky but with out a down hill i top at around 150

If you're running stock differential and W58 on proper tire size, then I'm afraid I'm gonna have to call your bluff.

Our cars tach out at 146-147 with stock driveline no matter how much power you add to the engine.

If you're running upgraded diff or tranny, then right on!

If you're running a wheel/tire combo that is too small in circumferance, your speedo is off by about 5%

NOTE: You can possibly squeeze 1 or 2 more MPH if you depress your clutch right before fuel cut, but I highly reccomend against this.

Handling can be adversely affected when you suddenly lose power to the rear wheels at 150ish

On Scenic Hwy 61 South, just north of Port Gibson, I got my SC400 up to 140mph. I had made my mind up to hit the reported ceiling speed of 150mph, but just couldnt do it. After 135mph my heart was racing so hard as the road seemed to narrow and the passing green countryside began to smear. Then a little voice inside my head said what if a wheel comes off or something?... That extra 10 mph gets emotionally hard to reach especially if you have reasons to live... kids, wife, etc.. The car handeled great though.

• 10 months later...

i dont care what magazines say about BMW's 155 cut off.... not true!!!!! I have it on film too... Im riding down Card Sound rd (on the way to the keys...) in my friends 03 stang cobra... we keep it at 155 for a while( keeps shutting off after that from gov chip) and then my friend alex zooms by in his STOCK M3. I mean zoom as in looks like at least 15 mph faster. Although im not sure exactly, he says his speedo said 178. Id say 170 but not more. Anyway, it was a whole group of us having fun and being stupid. Here are the cars.

2000 Honda civic EX (some work, basics only) Shuts off at 120mph- my old car

2004 Honda Accord Coupe 4cyl( also some work) 138 mph- Loren

2003 Audi TT 180 - 142 mph- Chez

1993 Lexus sc300 - 142mph (me and the audi were neck and neck the whole time....)

1984 BMW M3 widebody-145mph- Brendan's old car

2003 Mustang Mach1- (new gears, exhaust, chip, some others) redline at 150 mph- Dont know

2004 BMW 745li- shut off at 155mph- Chris

2004 Mustang Cobra- shuts off at 155 mph-Brendan's new car

2001 Saleen s281 sc- 165 mph- Albie (hate that kid)

2002 Carrera 996- 176mph- My cousin Todd

2001 BMW M3- 178mph- Alex

Juancho

I drove from LA to SF to LA this weekend. I was able to get to 100mph, but anymore...and I felt the engine really struggling. How are you SC300 5-speed guys going above 120? Going at 100, I didn't feel like the car had much more power to really push beyond 120 (Possibly to 110.) Not that I'm trying to reach 120+mph speeds, but I didn't feel like my car could go that fast.

My tires were properly inflated. Still stock suspension, but in good condition. Just curious as I don't see how you guys are posting speeds higher than 120...

Hey DomLee.. do you by any chance feel the SC is really really slow during take off?.. cuzz i have a 1992 SC 300 5spd and its a dogg.. i feel the same as you after 100.. feels like it has nothing left, and during take off, it tops out so fast in first gear.. Let me know. Thanks

Hey DomLee.. do you by any chance feel the SC is really really slow during take off?.. cuzz i have a 1992 SC 300 5spd and its a dogg.. i feel the same as you after 100.. feels like it has nothing left, and during take off, it tops out so fast in first gear.. Let me know. Thanks

The SC is fine on takeoff. A bit sluggish maybe, but I'm more concerned w/ the way it tops out. I expected the power to die out more at 120 - 130mph.

Obviously this can be remedied by customing gearing, but if I'm spending money on that...I may as well look into an engine swap, along w/ the Supra 6-speed tranny.