2004 Ls430 Service Advisory

pbo

I received a call today from my dealer and my 2004 is being requested to visit the dealership for a replacement transmission and fuel pump. I have had no problems just a call out of the blue that they are being replaced. Lexus is giving a $200 gas card for the trouble.

My car is rarely driven and has 2000 miles, I sure hate to have a major repair.

Can't complain about the service but hated the call.

I received a call today from my dealer and my 2004 is being requested to visit the dealership for a replacement transmission and fuel pump. I have had no problems just a call out of the blue that they are being replaced. Lexus is giving a $200 gas card for the trouble.

My car is rarely driven and has 2000 miles, I sure hate to have a major repair.

Can't complain about the service but hated the call.

I suggest you visit your dealer as soon as you can.

My 2004 Ls430 just died on the freeway last month, turn out fuel pump must be replaced. I guess the "fuel pump" just stop "pump" "fuel" out, therefore the car just stop running suddenly. My car is rarely driven, also. Now it has 2500 miles since I bought it on Dec. last year.

It's very danger the car just died while you are driving on the freeway. I think I am very lucky did not have car accident when it happened.

check these reports:

http://www.recall-warnings.com/auto-catego...LS430.2004.html

http://autorepair.about.com/library/recall...ecalls-358a.htm

My dealer insist there is no RECALL, just my car's fuel pump and transmission needs "UPGRADE".

i just called my dealer...(the largest in the country woo woo) and they said that my 04 ls430 was not under recall...woowoo, although certain vendors in california had 4 cases so there are 14k cars on recall, the only way to tell if u have a recall is to give the vin to your dealer.

hope this helps,

my ls430

F714909 Writes:

"I suggest you visit your dealer as soon as you can.

My 2004 Ls430 just died on the freeway last month, turn out fuel pump

must be replaced.

It's very danger the car just died while you are driving on the

freeway. I think I am very lucky did not have car accident when it happened.

check these reports:

http://www.recall-warnings.com/auto-catego...LS430.2004.html

http://autorepair.about.com/library/recall...ecalls-358a.htm

My dealer insist there are no RECALL, just my car's fuel pump and

transmission needs "UPGRADE"."

Normally, Recalls are issued by the Feds. My guess is the manufacturer is doing a voluntary recall on its own.

Do we know for a fact the manuf. is doing this on a broad scale or is it just in Cali?

Looks like it's a voluntary recall but it's world-wide, not only in california. Check these news

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2...tent_345100.htm

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/biz/200407...16291211910.htm

My friend from Taiwan said the recall include Taiwan's 2004 LS430, also.

However my car died on freeway before I heard the news, because LA's news did not say anything about this recall. And my dealer did not mention anything about recall after they fix my car, they just said "we replace your fuel pump and UPGRADE your transmission".

And my dealer did not mention anything about recall after they fix my car, they just said "we replace your fuel pump and UPGRADE your transmission".

did you pay anything for the work or did they do it free of charge?

And my dealer did not mention anything about recall after they fix my car, they just said "we replace your fuel pump and UPGRADE your transmission".

Everything include replacing transmission and fuel pump are all free of charge . But it's a new car, I am very unhappy even they did not charge me.

But it's a new car, I am very unhappy even they did not charge me.

you cant hold a grudge towards them, it's not like they actually cast the planetary gears in the tranny or mold the impeller for the fuel pump in-house. some bad parts from their suppliers slipped past inspections, QC can only check so much.

I wouldn't say OEMs are supplying the manufacturer with a few bad products; Since the trannys and fuel pumps are new/significantly-changed it's still being tested. You're participating in the big system.

Any news from Toyota Japan with the Celsior?

My dealer here in central CA told me that it is the special additives we HAVE to have in our gas in CA that was destroying the fuel pumps. I have not heard anything about the transmission ... anybody know specifically whats the problem?

Where did you get the information on a FREE gas card fir $200, when you take your LS430 in for tran and fuel pump replacement???

I took mine in today and asked the service advisor about this. He knew nothing about it. He did say that since some gas had to be drained from tank that they would see that I left with a FULL tank. But alas, I filled up just a couple of days ago and it was practically full when I took it in....

Just got my car back after the repair. I was told about the gas card from the dealer I purchased from (Flow Lexus) but had the repair done at Johnson Lexus. They said they did not know about the $200 gas card.

Here's the real kicker, when I went to pick up my car I had my friend dropped me off since I didn't ask for a loaner. They had added a $10 charge to my bill for the use of a loaner car. I didn't even get one. I had to convince them I did not get a loaner. They told me that they charge a $10 fee now for the "free" loaner. I was so mad I would still be there screaming about the $10 if I had gotten a loaner and that popped up. I called Lexus and filed a complaint and was told that a loaner should be free if your car was being serviced for more than 8 hours. I knew that is the policy anyway. They are having someone call me to discuss it.

Just to make sure I called Flow Lexus and they laughed and said they don't charge for the free loaner cars. In fact Flow offered to come and get my car (100 miles) and bring me a loaner and return my car after repairs and pick up loaner before I had decided where to have the repairs done.

I bought an '04 GX from Johnson this year and an '04 LS from Flow. I can't say enough good things about Flow but Johnson has terrible sales AND service. I sure wish I lived close to another dealership.

Everything include replacing transmission and fuel pump are all free of charge . But it's a new car, I am very unhappy even they did not charge me.

I can understand why you would be livid about this. You purchased a BRAND NEW car- a very expensive one to say the least and now it is going to need major parts. After this- it will not be "original" ever again. I think unless it prohibits a safety factor, that they should leave it alone and offer some sort of an extended warranty on the transmission. BTW- what exactly is supposed to be wrong with the transmissions that they have to be replaced?

I made my appointment on Monday. I brought the car in today. The parts were on location unlike my multiple experiences with BMW. The transmission and fuel pump were changed, the tank topped off, and the car was detailed. The owner advised me to expect a gift card for gas from Lexus. Kudos to Lexus of Orland Park, IL and the manufacturer.

Steve

I can understand why you would be livid about this. You purchased a BRAND NEW car- a very expensive one to say the least and now it is going to need major parts. After this- it will not be "original" ever again. I think unless it prohibits a safety factor, that they should leave it alone and offer some sort of an extended warranty on the transmission. BTW- what exactly is supposed to be wrong with the transmissions that they have to be replaced?

Here's the story. There are TWO recalls on the 2004 Lexus LS 430; one to replace the fuel pump and one to replace the transmission. Both of these have been filed with the NHTA. I received two letters (in one envelope) from LEXUS this week and then the dealer called and asked me to schedule a service visit. They definitely want to resolve these issues ASAP.

The fuel pump problem relates to alcohol-based fuel deforming the pump impeller. There were 61 incidents of this at the time of recall filling.

The transmission problem involves a tab on the planetary gear that can dislodge under high stress (heavy accelerator use in 1st/Reverse). This can lodge in the parking mecanism rendering it ineffective. There were 4 cases of this at the time of recall filling.

Both of these affect up to 14,000 2004-model LS 430's, manufactured from July 2003 through January, 2004. I'd guess this campaign will cost Toyota close to 100 million dollars to resolve.

You do not need to worry about the effectiveness of the repair.

The car will be just as good as new. I an a Lexus tech at a dealer in Canada, and the repair described is a very straightforward one.

If you must think about it, consider that old used parts, are being replaced with new ones.

It would actually be fairly strightforward to repair the transmission, but Lexus has decided to replace the assembly in the interests of customer service.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had my trans and fuel pump replaced. No mention of $200. Dealers get to charge back to Lexus ~$3900.00 for work. Now trying to resolVe a Warning light -TIRE Low Pressure which will not reset. (tire pressure is good!)

Just had my trans and fuel pump replaced.  No mention of $200.  Dealers get to charge back to Lexus ~$3900.00 for work.  Now trying to resolVe a Warning light -TIRE Low Pressure which will not reset. (tire pressure is good!)

Assuming that you have oe tires and rims on the vehicle, ask your dealer to review bulletins.

The light may appear if the spring constant of the tire is significantly different from what was originally fitted.

Ie. tires with a significantly different sidewall frrom the original equipment ones.

It is also possible under very unusual driving conditions that a normal vehicle will illuminate the warning light.

These assume that your light is illuminating after being reset using the reset button under the dash, above your right foot.

1. ignition on, not running.

2. wait about 10 seconds,

3 press and hold tire reset button and hold for about 4 seconds. Be careful not to accidentally switch off the smart key, or (stops to think...) anything else under there.

I don't understand why ANYBODY is complaining. (not all are, just a select few, most people seem to see it the reasonable way) Here's how I view it.

Lexus FOUND a problem and wants to repair it BEFORE it breaks, they didn't just give you a warranty for IF it breaks and leaves you stranded.

They will come out...give you a loaner...pick up your car...bring your car back...and drive their loaner back. WHO ELSE IN THE WORLD would do this for you? This is the MOST CONVENIENT thing I have ever heard of in the car industry and I can't believe people are still complaining.

What do you want, a personal mechanic that lives in your garage!!!!!

Don't say, "its a lexus, it should be perfect". In case you haven't gotten the memo, nothing is perfect in life.

Rant over.