A Chime Sounds On Turns & Bumps?

indigosun

Starting about a month ago, a "chime" sounds everytime I make a turn or hit a bump in the road. However, no warning lights appear on the dashboard so I am a little confused as to what it is?

Can anyone assist?

Many thanks,

Gary

The only chime-like sound in my similar 2000 LS that I can think of right now is the "seat belt unfastened" chime. Does the "seat belt unfastened" chime sound when you start the car without fastening your seat belt? You might try checking the electrical connectors for the driver's seat belt receiver to see if there is a loose connection. The act of plugging the belt buckle into the receiver must depress a switch (and open or close a circuit) in order to make the chime sound. The problem with my theory is that there is also a dash light which I would think would be flashing if there is a problem with this circuit.

What ever it is, it must be something pretty darn loose to make the chime sound on a bump or a curve.

We are now at least one step closer ... :unsure:

When I start the car "without" my seatbelt fastened as suggested the "seatbelt unfastened chime" sounds 5 times and the seatbelt dashboard light flashes.

But this also happens to be the "same chime" that I am hearing when I hit a large bump or turn a corner. However, the difference between the two is ... when I turn a corner my chime only sounds once (as opposed to 5 times) and "no dashboard light appears".

Other than the seatbelt do you know if this chime is assoiciated with some type of "low fluid" warning? And could the low fluid light just be out on the dashboard? Just a thought.

Thanks again for your kind assistance (and yes, I am too new to understand how to PM anyone as I just signed up today).

nope, i think there is a shortage that occurs when u hit a bump or turn. to make sure shortage is not in the seat belt fastener. unfasten your seatbelt when the car is in drive and check for those chimes.

I noticed this morning that the same chime sounds, but at a different rate, when the ignition key is in the off position and the driver's door is open. I'll listen today and see if I notice any other functions that set off the chime. You might try locating the chime module itself to see if there is a connection problem there. It sounds like it is under the driver's side dash. I used tried using a stethoscope a few minutes ago but all I can tell is that the chime sound is coming from the area above the underdash panel and in the area to the rear of the underdash fuse box.

The panel under the dash is easily removable. I've had it off twice this week to reposition my phone speaker. Only two screws have to be removed before popping out the two friction thingys - that's a technical term - which also hold the front edge of the underdash panel to the dash. Watch out for the metal bracket that fits into a slot at the rear of this panel to hold it in place - especially when reinstalling the panel. Once you remove the two front screws and the two popout thingys, slide the underdash panel rearward out of the metal bracket and it will drop down into your hands.

I was surprised that I couldn't find the information about location of the chime in the two volume repair manual set - I must be missing it. The manuals are a bit spotty in the information they provide - they sometimes leaveg real important stuff but include useless information about the power rear seat sold in the Taiwanese market.

I dont know if this helps but....... I had the same thing happen to me yesterday in my RX. It turned out to be something with the rear hatch. The dash light never came on but every couple of miles the chimes would go off. I opened the hatch and closed it again and it went away.

J>

:cheers:

I just had the oil and fluids changed at my local 10 Minute Oil Stop and to my complete suprise the chime has now "completely stopped". So one of two things that occured during the service has most likely solved this issue.

(1) They cleaned the door switch pins with wd40 (2) but they also said that the "washer fluid" was almost empty, however there was never a washer fluid warning flashing on the dashboard display.

And just out of curiosity... is there a "chime" associated with washer fluid warning (if the warning were to be displayed on my dashboard)? If not then I guess it is fair to say that the door switch pins were the problem.

Thank you again for all for each your thoughtful suggestions.

Cheers!

• 7 years later...

I've had what sounds like this exact issue a number of times on my 98 LS. At least in my case, it has always been caused by low washer fluid.

The "chime" always comes first and the warning message on the dashboard doesn't start to appear with it until the fluid level becomes ever lower after additional use. I suspect that initally, due to the location of the sensor, the warning message is shut off before it can appear by washer fluid contacting the sensor during the turn/driving over a bump.

Have you checked your washer fluid level and does the problem go away after adding more?

I've had what sounds like this exact issue a number of times on my 98 LS. At least in my case, it has always been caused by low washer fluid.

The "chime" always comes first and the warning message on the dashboard doesn't start to appear with it until the fluid level becomes ever lower after additional use. I suspect that initally, due to the location of the sensor, the warning message is shut off before it can appear by washer fluid contacting the sensor during the turn/driving over a bump.

Have you checked your washer fluid level and does the problem go away after adding more?

Hi,

Thank you very much for the reply. I just filled up the washer fluid reservoir but have not taken it for a "spin". It must have been pretty empty because it took about a gallon it seems.

This is a new problem that as I think about it, didn't start until I had a new battery put in by AAA. He put some electronic gizmo on the the fuse panel before he changed the battery. He said he was doing that because he said that if take a battery out the lost of charge will sometimes cause problems with the sensors.

I will see if the add to the washer fluid fixes it. This car has 89k miles on it and I am the original and only owner. I treat it like a baby, even use amsoil 0/30 synthetic oil.

Thank you for your help!

John

PS As far a a warning goes, i am always alone in the car and I suspect the view of the light if it comes on is block by the steering wheel spokes. If filling fluid doesn't stop it I may get someone to ride with me to watch the dashboard to see if a light comes on.

My '94 AWD Ford Aerostar will "chime" if the rear door isn't firmly closed and I drive over a bump, railroad tracks, etc.

If your battery dies completely, or is removed without first installing a "keep-alive" battery, the engine/transmission ECU will get "mind-wiped" and will therefore fall back on the factory default control parameters. Your car now might "act" somewhat radically different for the next few days. It will take up to 200 miles, 4-6 drive cycles, for the ECU to re-learn the exacting control parameters for all the sensors and servos.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, problem is solved. No chime since putting in washer fluid. Sort of perplexed why the dealership had no clue until I realized that the cars they see are typically under warranty and are newer and they probably make it a point to check washer fluid levels during maintence so they never really see the issue.

Thanks again all.

John.

• 9 months later...
  • 8 years later...

I'm going to bring this one back for an 04 GS 300 that chimes one time each time I accelarate from stop, but no other times. I did not think it prudent to start another thread as the issue might just be a general Lexus/Toyota thing. 

I take off and hear "bing" one time. I can drive 5 miles at a steady rate and no chimes. Pull up to a red light, when I take off "bing"……drive 100 yards to another red light and again when I take off "bing" once. 

No warning lights. All fluids are fine. Could my car be thinking a door is ajar? 

On 3/12/2021 at 9:48 PM, Bykfixer said:

I'm going to bring this one back for an 04 GS 300 that chimes one time each time I accelarate from stop, but no other times. I did not think it prudent to start another thread as the issue might just be a general Lexus/Toyota thing. 

I take off and hear "bing" one time. I can drive 5 miles at a steady rate and no chimes. Pull up to a red light, when I take off "bing"……drive 100 yards to another red light and again when I take off "bing" once. 

No warning lights. All fluids are fine. Could my car be thinking a door is ajar? 

Did you check the washer fluid? It could also be a bad door switch or seatbelt chime.