Question On 'factory' Lockers

I have read the owners manual and I have read my factory service manual, but still don't know if the front locker light indicator is supposed to blink or go solid for the front differential when activated. Both books indicate that the rear diff isnt locked until you get a solid indicator light (not blinking), but say nothing about the front when it is engaged. I would assume that my front is not locking because it keeps blinking.....and I have tried it several times.

I usually do this in the grass or off of pavement as suggested, put it in low, and the transmission in neutral. The rear usually takes a few seconds before it engages and stops blinking, but the front doesnt stop blinking and the steering doesnt stiffen as warned in the book.

Any suggestions? Does it matter if I am in Park, Neutral, or Drive? Or is there some other 'trick' that makes it work , before I start focusing on the possibility of a malfunction in the front locker unit?

Sometimes it takes a while for one or the other...or both lockers to engage if they haven't been used for a while.

The light should stop blinking as soon as the front diff lock engages -- it works just like the rear locker. Find some really loose dirt or a large enough grassy area (the looser the traction the better -- well...within reason...) Once you have the front diff lock engaged, try turning in a circle. The fronts should engage as soon as it senses some loss of traction.

When shifting from 4HI to 4LO, you want your transmission in Neutral, then you want to shift your transfer case from Hi to Low. Once this is done, you can engage the diff locks by turning the knob. You'll want to be stopped (i.e. not moving) when you do this.