Car Starts, Then Quits. Possibly Fuel Filter?

Help please. I started my car today and it dies right away. If I start it again pushing on the gas a little, it starts right up. I figured it was just a glitch, but then it happened again, and now it does it every time.

The only thing I've done differently lately was fill up at a different gas station. I always use 93 octane and never have had this problem before. Has anyone experienced this problem before?

I'm thinking it's a fuel filter. Hopefully it's not the injectors or something expensive like that.

The Lexus has 135k miles and has given no issues upt to date.

Thanks!

:cheers:

What is your idle RPMs like? It may be in the low range like 500 RPMs or less. Normally the needle should settle around 600-750 RPMs. Suspecting that you have a low idle issue, I would guess that you may have a dirty throttle body in your ES, which may be too rich in fuel and gives the wrong readings of air/fuel ratio to the MAF sensor, causing the idle speed to be incorrect. You can get the throttle body cleaned either by yourself (with some carb/throttle body cleaner spray bought at an auto parts store), or at a dealership (preferably Toyota for cheaper prices). Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. Because it's idle is normal when it's running, I'm suspecting it's just an initial flow thing. It runs fine once it starts.

I did put a new battery in and then it started doing this.

I'm suspecting it's a combination of bad gas (from a gas station that I've gotten bad gas from before) and a dirty fuel filter. I'm going to replace the fuel filter today for good measure to see if that helps. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks! :D

Hmmm, now I'm back to guessing again. I just called Lexus to order a fuel filter for my car because apparently, the are not the same as a V6 Toyota Camry Fuel filter that my local Toyota dealer stocks.

Lexus said they do not stock fuel filters because Toyota issued a statement that the fuel filters on all the ES300's of this model year and up have fuel filters that are built to last for the life of the car. Seems fishy to me, but I do believe now that the problem must lie somewhere else.

Meanwhile, typical Lexus, the car fixed itself and will not repeat the problem. It's nearly impossible to diagnose a problem that will not happen repeatedly. I'm sure it'll repeat itself in the next rain/snow/ice storm at night when I'm 50 miles+ from home.

I'll take SK's advice and look into the IACV (Intake Air Control Valve) to see if maybe cleaning will do the trick. That is, if the car acts up again. :o)

Take care.

:cheers:

Just an update:

I took SK's advice and cleaned the IACV with throttle body cleaner. I didn't even have to remove it to clean it. I just took off the air filter hose, and was careful with a new cloth rag. I bought some cleaner that's made to spray inside as well. After cleaning, the car runs absolutely perfect.

Cleaning the IACV took about 20 min for an immaculate job and $3 in cleaner. It's so worth it, I would do it on any higher mileage car that showed the simptoms of hesitating when starting, or even slow, irregular, or rough idle.

GREATE ADVICE SK! Thanks for the tip. :cheers:

-Jimi

Just an update:

I took SK's advice and cleaned the IACV with throttle body cleaner. I didn't even have to remove it to clean it. I just took off the air filter hose, and was careful with a new cloth rag. I bought some cleaner that's made to spray inside as well. After cleaning, the car runs absolutely perfect.

Cleaning the IACV took about 20 min for an immaculate job and $3 in cleaner. It's so worth it, I would do it on any higher mileage car that showed the simptoms of hesitating when starting, or even slow, irregular, or rough idle.

GREATE ADVICE SK! Thanks for the tip. :cheers:

-Jimi

great info! i have the same problem every now and then. what type of cleaner spray was it?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to find the IACV on my 1999 RX300. The car stalls on cold start and I think the IACV needs to be cleaned. What is IACV look like? Please help.

8/17/04 - Found it. Took out the 2 air intake hoses and the IACV locates right under them. I took out the two screws and cleaned the inside with the throttle body cleaner. The problem went away, so here is the pictures I took (IACV is the black piece with the two screws, one of them has the yellow dot on it).

post-7-1092765062.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
8/17/04 - Found it.  Took out the 2 air intake hoses and the IACV locates right under them. I took out the two screws and cleaned the inside with the throttle body cleaner. The problem went away, so here is the pictures I took (IACV is the black piece with the two screws, one of them has the yellow dot on it).

Thanks for the picture, oldrx300. Now that I know what it looks like, I can try it when I get home tonight, if I make it home tonight!