Shifting Noise

I can hear a shifting sound from my brakes each time i turn on the car. I can sorta feel it on my foot when my foot is on the brake. But even without my foot on the brake, I can hear the noise. Its only for about 4-6 seconds than goes away but continues to make the sound every now and then when i get to a traffic light or while driving at a slow speed than coming to a stop. I hear the noise when my car is idle or while going 10-30 mph, not when im driving at fast speeds. Lexus dealer told me its my ABS brakes shifting and the sound lets me know that its "doing its job". I just dont believe lexus engineers would want to get on someones nerves like that. Anyone have this problem or know what im talking about? please help. thx

The sound is the hydraulic booster pump maintaining system pressure. As brake system pressure is not vacuum assisted in this car, this is by design.

After a few applications of the brakes, the system pressure reserve drops and the pump kicks in. The pumps runs until the pressure builds up and turns off. It is rather annoying, I do agree. You can verify this by starting the car. Listen for the pump to turn off. Press the brake fully a few times until you hear the sound again. It should run for a few seconds and stop. You can repeat this as many times as you like.

The worst part of this design is when descending a hill. After you touch the brakes a few times, the pump will sometimes kick in just as you apply the brakes causing the car to jerk forward a bit. I simply was besides myself when I realized this was how the system was designed. While this may or may not be as noticeable in some cars or to some drivers, I have felt it in every GS I have driven.

Thank you! I also felt that slight jerk while driving and said "what the hell?". "is this normal?". Oh well, at least now I know its not a problem and thats just the way the car was built. Thanks again for the detailed explanation.