Dropping Mileage And Running Worse

LVheretic

Hi All,

I have a 99 RX 300 with about 75k and have watched my miles per gallon drop over the past 2 years... right now, it registers 12.9 - 13.2 per gallon.

There appears to be a smell of gas at the tailpipe, the vehicle bogs down under hard acceleration--then catches sometimes with a small backfire under the hood. Once in a while, it puts out a smoke cloud when starting up.

I changed the plugs and belts about 5k back. Neither helped or added to the problem.

Also, the oil is the wrong viscosity--is this a big problem?

ANY help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Nick / Las Vegas

No dark smoke that I am aware of... the problem may be resolved after cleaning the MAF...it definitely runs faster with no bogging down.

The UK Lexus site noted the same symptoms as mine and even had pics of the ultra complicated (ok, not complicated) process.

Whats a motorvac?

a motorvac is a machine that is hooked up to the fuel line and pumps a high pressure cleaning solution through the fuel system which cleans it amazingly as well as having the throttle body cleaned as well.

It helps every person who gets one.