Diy Springs/shocks Replacement For Amateur

I just received an OME suspension upgrade kit (springs, shock, damper) I ordered from sleeoffroad. I have been studying the online replacement procedures several times and studied the underside of my 1997 45O and was wondering if anyone out there has done this themselves....and what the difficulty level was. It looks fairly simple and I am fortunate to have a clean/corrosion free underside, but I am concerned about the part about actually pulling the old springs out and pushing the axle down far enough to slip the new ones in. Is this the hardest part and is there any excess stress on the brake line (danger off damage), even though bracket is disconnected. The instructions are clear, but would like to hear from anyone who has done this themselves with the basic tools (without air wrench).

"97 LX450,

That also my main concerned when I replaced Spring , Adjustable Shock and Heavy Duty Bushing thou in order to remove Both of rear spring may be not simple/ easy job to do.By pushing the rear axle way down & pull both rear spring out was OKAY. True about center ABS brake line becoz when the rear axle down the only thing that holding the axle down is ONLY 1 pc of brake line.To prevent excessive stress you may need 2 people doing this. 1 person insert new spring in

and the other holding the rear axle so wont drop/down too much and keep on eye on the brake line.

Well what else can i say? YES its hard to do, but also simple as the way it is.

One word YES do it! :cheers:

Just make sure you may need 2 people for the rear job.

I set up my LX450 differently than others, just for cruisin only :P

I have 23x10.5 rims and 305/35/23 Pirelli Scorpion Zero

I have lowering spring made by SHUEI ~4" inch down and 5 way adjustable shock

from RANCHO RS9000 ~both not available in the US.

I like the way it looks almost no gaps between all fenders & tires.

Mostly lift up spring available in the US soil.

Good Luck! :rolleyes:

Chip,

Follow the instructions. Remember the taller spring goes on the driver's side (USA). It's easiest with 2 people. And finally, loosen those shock bolts with plenty of PB Blaster or some other similar penetrating oil.

What a workout! I am still sore from the labor and physical work using my hand tools, however, I did it by myself and it went very smooth...it took pretty much a whole day and all my energy, but it was worth it. It drives like a totally different truck. It handles much better (no more swaying) and the new steering damper took out all the slight shimmy that it had prior, in the steering.

Dougjohn, thanks for the suggestion you made to do this....and for the referral to Slee, great people and product.

It made a huge difference in how it feels and drives.

I'm glad it worked out well. The first thing I noticed was the vastly improved ride.

Have you done the caster correction yet? If not, it's something that you can wait to do. The steering might be a bit squirly, but I know some who still haven't inserted the new bushings.